Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished restoring an old tigershark 770.

It's working well except it struggles to reach high revs. It can reach its high revs but soon enough it will slow down. I let it idle and "cool down" and then it can rev high again for a little while, and then again, slow down.

There is water gushing out the side of the craft, so I know it's cooling. It's not a super strong stream of water. It spans about 3-ish feet away from the side of the craft when in full throttle.

Some possible concerns:
I don't have a filter in the intake. I need to order one. For this reason, on the carb I have both high and low one quarter turn more fuel rich than factory as it seems to have helped a tiny bit? I can't really tell.

The gas tank is getting a strong vacuum. It hisses air when I open the gas cap. Not sure if this is good or bad. Maybe that's what's building up?

I originally left the high setting untouched, but I made the quarter turn above factory today, so I will test if turning that up helped.

Everything else on the craft seems to be in good order. I'm fairly new to this so I would appreciate any advice.

Also, any advice on how to pull the flywheel to reach the bendix when the bolt holes are stripped? How much oil goes in that area anyways? Fill it to the top? The bendix is fine, but is worn out and I have a brand new one. I'd replace the stripped flywheel too if only I could pull it off the shaft. The bolt holes on the flywheel are too stripped to rethread and there isn't enough force to pop it off the engine, so I have left it as is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I turned the high exactly to factory and that seemed to give me a little more power. The carburator I got from ebay didn't have factory settings apparently.

Still not sure about everything else, but I'll keep testing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling it's because the engine is breathing it's own exhaust. The inside of the ski looks pretty smoky when I lift the seat. The performance comes back when I let it air out. Must be a leak in the exhaust.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Might want to get that located first. leak in exhaust could also leak water somewhere. If it is enough to hamper the performance, it may be causing it to run rich.
My first thought was lack of fuel because when you let it sit, it comes back. That points me to fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it turned out that it was an exhaust leak mainly from the exhaust manifold. I put in a new gasket and that fixed my performance issues. However, it still smokes a lot. But smells more like burning rubber. I have no idea at this point. Does old rubber smoke more than new rubber? I did clean it really well with carb cleaner.

And yes, I realized the whole ski could sink if the exhaust fell off. I tightened it up really good.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
You shouldn't be smelling burning rubber. 2 stroke smoke, especially when they're cold. When it get to operating temp, and burns off the excess oil it should mellow out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1998 tiger shark ts770l that’s I’m trying to set back to factory settings. The front carbs high speed screw was turned out 2.5 and the rears was 3/4. I’m only having issues under full throttle and both plugs look a bit wet and oily smell a little like fuel. The front more oily. If I turn the fuel on off valve just right it runs like a bat out of hell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts