Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i want to start by saying you may have seen me in a intro forum talking about my wave venture restoration project, but in effort to try and get this question out to a bigger audience I decided to post it here.

To bring everyone up to speed, I got an old 96 Wave Venture 1100, that was sitting abandon for an unknown amount of time and I have no idea the condition it was in the last time it ran but for the most part the ski was clean and intact, at the start of my project I came to the conclusion that due to old old fuel and dirty carbs the carbs needed rebuilding as well as the fuel pump. Now I am new to Jet ski mechanics but I do have the service manual and a mechanical background plus a little help from a member on this forum during the rebuild build process.

I used mostly Windarosa parts for the rebuild though on the carbs I have a slight concern that some of the parts were not authentic but honest its gaskets and diaphragms that i replaced not solid parts so i think or hope that it'll be alright despite the concerns people have about only using authentic kits.

Today i finished the rebuild and put everything back together minus the Flame Arrestor box, sprayed some seafoam upper engine cleaner into the intakes and cylinders, and after a few tries, some thick white smoke the ski came to life for the first time so that's progress in my book. However it ran pretty rough and cut out after about 3 mins.

She started right back up ran rough and shut down after a few minutes, I repeated this process several times because I chalked it up to bad fuel still making its way out of the lines, but overall the longest I could keep it running was about 5 mins and on another note whenever i would try and run water threw it, almost immediately it would stall out.

So at this point I'm not sure but i believe part of the issue was the screw settings on the carbs ( i tried to use the factory settings but i may be a little off) also i didn't replace the float needles so its possible it could still be carb related overall but I'm not 100 percent sure and I'm looking for little advice suggestions or guidance on how to troubleshoot this problem.

a few notes, the carbs, and fuel pump were just rebuilt an all gaskets replaced. The fuel filter was replaced, fresh fuel and oil in the tanks plus some seafoam and stable.
when i open the throttle she does not stall and revs up nicely, though still feels sorta rough to me if I'm being completely honest i have never seen a venture run normally so my idea of rough could just be a misconception of what i expect.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Jetdocdad82,
Have you run a compression test?
If so what were your results?

I'm leaning towards the carbs still being your issue, but compression could also have a hand in this.
When you rebuilt the carbs did you count the turns on your high and low screws and get them back to the same count? Did carbs get soaked in a bath cleaner or just sprayed out with cleaner?
I like to soak mine in a can of carb cleaner. Depending on how dirty will determine how long. I also will only use Mikuni kits. Been bitten to many times by trying to go cheeper.

Have the plugs been changed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs have been changed, the carbs were soaked in a degreaser bath and blown out with compressed air. As far as the screw turns I did write them down but then I messed up and mixed the 3 carbs up so to resulted to using the factory screw settings but being new to it I could have been off on my turns

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jetdocdad82,
Have you run a compression test?
If so what were your results?

I'm leaning towards the carbs still being your issue, but compression could also have a hand in this.
When you rebuilt the carbs did you count the turns on your high and low screws and get them back to the same count? Did carbs get soaked in a bath cleaner or just sprayed out with cleaner?
I like to soak mine in a can of carb cleaner. Depending on how dirty will determine how long. I also will only use Mikuni kits. Been bitten to many times by trying to go cheeper.

Have the plugs been changed?
Will run a compression test today hopefully

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Got video. Not a lot of help. Still seams to be carb related. Waiting on compression test.

For high/low screws you just turn it all the way in lightly seated. Then count turns out.
What factory settings did you use?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I completed the compression test I forgot to add the results they were 90 for each cylinder the screws were
#1 7/8 +/- 1/4 turn high speed
#1 1 1/8 low speed

The book doesn't give me setting for each carb so I repeated as closely as I could but I'm starting to doubt my accuracy alittle

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Ok, based on that plug your definitely flooding it with fuel. Something is not right in your carbs and pouring fuel in. Turn off your fuel selector. Leave the plugs out but plugged into the wires and laying on the motor. Now crank it over. This will blow out the excess fuel/oil from the motor. Then clean the plugs with carb cleaner and dry them. Then try to start fuel off.

You may want to lay a rag over top of motor or you'll have fuel/oil all over.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Got the videos.
I think your headed in right direction with rebuilding carbs again with needle and seat. It seams the be flooding itself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, really running the list here its definitely coming down to the fuel air mixture side of things. I shoulda been more proactive and listened to the masses when they said go with genuine mikuni winderosa venom or other known name brand parts kits when this kit came unlabeled it just didnt seem right and was about 40 cheaper then the rest which shoulda been my first clue but I hoped that gasket paper and rubber was the same regardless. The little bit of fine tuneing was a improvement sorta for one thing the ski now started pretty much first try and ran slightly smoother then the other day I just wish those screws were easier to get to cause even with a stubby screw driver it was a pain to get to them.
The plan is to finish the venture and then start hashing out the issues with the VXR, I gutted the raider for every part I could get to easily I'm at the motor base which I still might go back for but I would say the best parts I scavenged would be the 2 mikuni carbs the electrical box, the gauge cluster and the cylinder housing plus the starter and a few tank sensors things that can be used in the vxr if needed or traded or sold. Sadly the engine in the raider was whole but the haul was destroyed perhaps could finish ripping the engine out and reassemble and sell it for aome.coin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took the carbs back and tore them.down today and I think that I can safely say they were the problem along with the fact that the fuel lines need to be seriously purged there was nasty nasty stick turpentine like fuel in each carb definitely not clean at all and these were just cleaned soaked in degreaser and rebuilt 2 weeks prior and only ran shortly a few times.. at this point I'm resoakkng and cleaning them but I gotta figure out how to purge those fuel lines to make sure they run clean

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
What's currently in the tank old or new fuel. If new. And you have air compressor use air to force fresh fuel through hose till clean. Do this with selector valve in run and reserve. Change your fuel filter as well. If you put the fuel line in a jug then use a blow gun with air pressure set down to about 2psi. Blow in through the return line fuel should come out line to jug. Then switch to reserve and repeat. Then change fuel filter. Be careful with air pressure. short bursts, get fuel moving then wait. You don't want to burst fuel tank.

Make sure the return orifice is clear on all three carbs. It's very small and if it's clogged it will destroy your rebuild again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news progress update, so today i finished the carb rebuild and flushed the fuel lines a lot of nastiness came out of the reserve line but for the most part now the fuel is clear with a yellowish tint I believe to be residue built up at the very bottom of the tank and I believe after a couple fills with fresh fuel that'll eventually disipate out I just dont have the capacity to empty the 8 or 9 gallons currently in the tank of dirty fuel and then find a place to either dispose of or store it for use in like a small engine or something. but the most important the junk and debris has been cleaned out. ALSO if there was a easier way of removing the fuel I might consider it but right now its just the fact of no where to empty this fuel to that stops me.

Any ways after cleaning the carbs and rebuilding them I was able to reinstall them and after some slight adjustments and tinkering success the ski started and remained running even after water was introduced to cool the engine. I ran it for about 10 mins I wanted to run it longer but I had concerns regarding potential over heating since I don't know what the recommended run time is out of the water being cooled by hose injection and also I felt it maybe running rough but I have never seen one of these skis run before on land in working order to compare. what I will say is it was smokey not horrible but a lot of white smoke I believe it could be from the still dirty fuel or from the upper engine cleaner that I sprayed in the cylinders when I first started working on the ski I just dont know if that is the case how long it would take before all that burnt off.

at this point I'm comfortable saying the worst is behind me (knock on wood) and now possibly a little fine-tuning of the carbs is all she'll need to be running well. If any one has a good video of a 96 running on land I could watch so I could listen to the how the engine sounds and compare id be greatful.

The next steps as far as maitance goes aside from fine tuneing is replacement of a the reverse cable which I already purchased and replacement seat covers then on to the 93 VXR pro

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Sounds like you've made great progress. Fuel should be ok but be sure to fill with fresh and some stabilizer. I recommend startron it comes in a blue colored bottle.

10/15 minutes on the hose is about max. You can go longer if you have good strong water pressure and a valve in the pump feed line so all water goes to motor. Otherwise keep I'd keep to 10/15 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts