Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having an intermittent problem where I would loose spark and the XP would stop running and not start. Sometimes I would have a blown fuse in the box and it would fix it but then it would happen with fuses good and then fire again at another time. At one point I only had a 15A fuse and the 5A blew so I had to use the 15A. Then recently it died and will provide spark at all. No fuses, no self healing. In the service manual I see there is an adaptor needed to test the trigger coil. Is there a way around that? If I test for continuity between the yellow and white wire and the black and yellow wire, which per the wiring diagram go to the trigger coil, should I get continuity? I took the plug off the CDI module where the yellow and white wire goes in and tested the plug end of that wire to the ground in the box where the black with yellow wire mounts and did not get continuity.

I went through the continuity tests on the MPEM and CDI per the shop manual. The MPEM checked out, but the many of the resistance readings on CDI did not match the manual. Is this confirmation of a bad CDI? Also the holder relay measured at 350 ohms vs 104 ohm spec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Measured the primary winding of the coil. Supposed to be .34 -.62 ohms and measured 1.1. So that is 3 components out of spec. Can't think they are all the cause. Have seen other posts on the DC-CDI having out of spec measurements and still being good?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You boys might no my Yamaha isn’t cranking over all have spark can turn it over when cross The wires on the solenoid and it kicks but no park Yamaha wave runner XL1200

1 - 3 of 3 Posts