Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 zxi 1100, this will be my second summer running (owning) it. Last summer i took it out and it ran great for our 3 hour trip on the lake, then every time after that it would lose power and only rev half the rpms even at full throttle. So here is a list of things i have checked or done to fix this issue, all the tests were done per the manual.
1) checked temp. sensor, good
2) checked comp. in all cylinders, good
3) changed fuel filter
4) removed and cleaned out fuel sender
5) removed each coil and ran on a tester ,all are good
6) replaced plug wires and boots
7) made sure all water lines and fuel lines are clear
8) removed carbs and inspected the internals, look like new, no grime
9) cleaned out tank vent, works well
After all of this, we took it out two weeks ago and it ran awesome even with a passenger for at least two full hours, i figured it was finally fixed after all that i did between then and now. Well we took it back out and then it was acting up again, no power, smell of fuel, and i would have to sit at idle for a little while just to be able to move back to the loading ramp, sometimes it would give me a nice full throttle pull but not for long.
The oil system is removed so i pre-mix, was told 44:1, i just changed the plugs and they were a light brown color, not white and not black or gummed up, but i changed them anyway, i haven't been to the lake yet to see if it was the plugs yet.

Any ideas... similar problems? Please help. This thing is bugging me. I want to be able to enjoy it without worrying all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my Kawa 1100 zxi year 2000 model. I've replaced the plugs, wires/coils, boots, fuel filter to no avail. Mine never revs over 4 grand on the water, barely get it to plane, and the speedometer doesn't even register 10 mph even though I think I'm doing that at least. There is very little fuel in the fuel filter reservoir I've noticed and wonder if that's an issue with a pump or something. HOPEFULLY, someone will respond and can give some direction. THANKS!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have 2 zxi 1100s . my 1996 zxi is having the same problem. it seems to run fine out of the water. but in the water it wont run over 4000 rpm and about 20 mph. any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see you are having the same issue. I hope somebody can share what they might have found with this situation. Seems a little more common than what I thought. I guess I'm going to tear into the carbs this weekend. ugh...

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok ive checked everything electrical on my ski as well. iv heard about the exhaust manifold cracking in on a water port on these skis. it seems to me that the "trigger" for malfuction is water. i run it with no water, it seems fine, with water it boggs. so im gonna try that next. if anyone has already tried that and can save me from waisting time and $$$$ please let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have spark on all three plugs fine. Cylinder #2 and #3 have good compression, but #1-next to nothing in compression. So, it looks like I will need to tear down further to determine if it's a gasket, rings, piston, or all of the above!!! :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
zxi 1100

i took my flywheel cover off and it was full of water. apparently the water jacket on front cover cracked and was pumping water into the flywheel/magneto cover. i wonder if it would hurt anything to bypass that water jacket sice am not using the oil pump (block off kit , premix Highly recomended). so my question is , what is that water jacket cooling , magneto or is it there to keep the bearings cool on the oil pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey zxi, did your ski run fine with the garden hose . Mine did, mine would run great the first ride of the season, but the every tine after that it was downhill, do you think mine is collecting water under the flywheel cover during the first ride, and staying wet for every other ride? Drying out in storage in winter, and thats why it only runs well the first ride of the season?

·
Registered
8 Posts
its a good posibility. mine would run fine for the first 30 minutes, then start acting up. i would recomend checking it , it couldnt hurt, and it seems like a problematic design. the only thing keeping the water out is a rubber o-ring. It is also where oil pump bolts to the housing. The housing on mine is broke where the oil pump bolts up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zxi, did you figure out you water jacket leak issue? Have you run it yet? I am going to take the front cover off mine this evening to see what i find. If you fixed it can you let me know what you found out and did to fix it, thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey sorry i havnt replied sooner. i plugged the holes on the water jacket and bypassed it. i also had a spark plugg wire that was not getting good connection, so i fixed that. i have not had a chance to get it in the water yet .

·
Registered
10 Posts
These are the symptoms. I was pulling boarder when suddenly I could hear bogging and sounded like a cylinder wasnt firing. Tested comp. all 125 pulled head and cylinders and pistons look great. Revs on trailer and in water but it wont get me over 30 mph on the lake. Sounds like it only revs to about 3000 RPM before it starts breaking up in water or on trailer. It starts to sound "choppy" like its trying to fire but isnt. It will kick in for a second or so then nothing. Once it kicked in for a couple minutes but that was it. I have clipped plug boots changed plugs cleaned and checked connections in ebox tightened and cleaned any wires that looked crappy. I do see some backfiring down carbs. Moves from cylinder to cylinder sometimes more then one will see flames down tube. Carbs seem to be supplying fuel. Checked reeds look perfect but hard to say if they are worn. They look damn clean though. moved cages around and flame doesnt follow the valve. Still happens down the same tube i moved reeds from. Any suggestions. I have heard check stator wires, cdi needs swap, temp sensors putting it in "limp mode" reed valves and carbs. PLEASE tell me someone has had this issue and fixed it! I dont want to drop a ton of money on unecessary parts is what it comes down to.

I have replaced the reeds checked the stator wires back for continuity, forced the temp sensor to put ski in limp mode, (totally different sound and runs at like 1000 RPM) Replaced entire electrical box ( Coils, CDI and anything else in there), changed start relay cause i broke the other one while working on it, changed exhaust hose that seemed to collapse on itself under load and quick throttle, STILL no fix. This is unreal. I have cleaned carbs and don’t see issue there. Replaced Reeds/Cages/Gaskets. I am currently looking for a service center in the Lehigh Valley PA area who can hook this thing up to a PC and test it that way. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience working on Kawis that could possible work on this for me? If so please Message me rates or post in here. I appreciate any assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sounds like it may be leaning out on the high speed end. i had multiple problems with mine at the same time, but the biggest problem was my carbs. i went through everything u did on yours. i eventually rebuilt my carbs, replacing everything in them. ski runs great now. if you have a manual for your ski it should have a section in it that will walk u through it. if those carbs are not right , it will run like crap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
also , make sure u check all your fuel lines and vacuum lines for holes. crank case pulse pressure plays a big roll in how those carbs work. check the crank case , make sure its not leaking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds good. I dont think I have the manual for it but if anyone does please let me know where to get it or PM if you can email it to me. I would appreciate it. I figured the carbs should be rebuilt by this time regardless though I have only gone through them not rebuilt. I dont think crank case is leaking anywhere or the fuel lines. They seem to deliver plenty of fuel. I see it dumping fuel when i take the arrestors off. I have tested the stator for continuity and the wires all test out. Someone told me its possible stator could cause this. DOes it sound likely to anyone?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts