Personal Water Craft Forum banner

97 Gp 760 yamaha

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ernest T 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, heres the story, my waverunner will run great off the water and hooked up to the hose, it will start right up. But as soon as it goes on the water and a person gets on it, it doesnt want to start, i have to start it with starting fluid. then when i finally get it started i go to take it across the water and at a higher rpm it shuts off completly, and wont start again with out starting fluid, and my speedometer will not work any more, what could be the deal? i dont get it...

#2 ·
Coil and read out

I wish I knew the answer to this. My digital read out was out when I got my Yamaha 760 I think mine is an LX though. Not sure if it's different. I had to get a different one but if everything else is working on the digital read out then check to see that the sensor that turns is moving freely. Not sure if that will help or not on the speedometer. The cutting out is what I am trying to figure out on my Kawasaki. It runs great for about 15 mins and then just cuts off. I was told that it was probably the coil. If anyone knows how to check a coil please let me know. It sounds like that could be your problem too since a coil does affect the starting also. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

#3 ·
Many possibilities: Clogged fuel filter or carb., Poor compression (from worn out cylinder........be careful with the starting fluid, by the way, it does not have lubricaion and can help to destroy an already ailing cylinder), faulty temp sensor, failing CDI, failing coils.....etc. Does this model have the catylic converter?.......could add it to the list.

Speedometer may be separate problem or it could be electrical.

I guess that it would be possible for the stator to be failing and cause both the speedometer problem and the running problem, but I'm guessing. You may need a service manual or a good machanic for this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.