Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of 2 1997 GP1200's. I've had both out a couple times. The last time ski #1 would start then die whenever I throttled it. It did this numerous times. I got them home charged both batteries checked the compression on ski #1 (perfect) changed the spark plugs and now it's running fine, but the display that was working perfectly isn't working at all. It's not the fuse. I'm new to this and don't really know what to check next help?

As for ski #2 I charged the battery on it as well and now the engine won't turn over at all. It's totally dead. It was running perfectly. All the battery connections are good. I even swapped the battery with the one in ski #1 to be 100% sure it's not the battery itself. Again, I'm not sure what to check next and in what order.

So in short, I have 2 problems ski #1's display won't work and ski #2 won't start at all. Any commmon problems anyone is aware of that I should check first? Or suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Did you charge the batteries in the ski while still connected? Don't know if this applies to the GP1200, but on my FX HO Yamaha recommends removing the battery from the ski before you charge it since putting more than a few amps through it while connected could damage the electrical system (primarily the relays). You may have fried a relay switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely removed both batteries from the skis to charge them. Took ski #1 out yesterday, and the display never came on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts