Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 GP 1200 which keeps on shutting off after 30 min into ride.
I think its my carbs but i dont know how to clean them. Also my fuel censor doesent work, it keeps reading low fuel. Any help or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks Rimas

·
Registered
22 Posts
re

does sound like your carbs.I own a 97 gp1200 and they are known for the fuel sending you to go bad.thats whay its reading low fuel.I had to replace mine.Best bet would be to find one on ebay.I would have a shop look at your carbs if you dont know what you are doing.dont ride it the way it is now you can damage your motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
re

You have to replace the fuel sending unit.Its in the fuel tank.If you look at the top middle of the fuel tank you will see all the fuel lines going into the top of the fuel sending unit.
Go onto ebay and type gp 1200 fuel sending unit so you know what it looks like.you should be able to get a decent one for $80
Its not hard to replace just time consuming.

1. To replace it i suggest doing so with a 1/4 tank of gas or less.
2. take gas cap off to relieve fuel pressure
3.remove all fuel lines from top of fuel sending unit and remember to mark all lines so when you put back together you wont mix them up.the writing should be on the lines and fuel sending unit.
4.remove gas tank straps.
5.remove the gas tank filler hose which is the hose you use to fill the tank only remove the end that goes to tank.
6.tilt tank back towards engine if you have someone to give you a hand it will be much easier.
7.at this point you should be able to reomve the bolt thats holding the fuel sending unit together.
8.might need to use alot of muscle to remove the unit out.
9.installation is reverse of removal just be sure to put the new sending unit it the same way the old one came out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts