Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. Any help is greatly appreciated. Just bought a 97 gp760 and the display is not receiving rpm, mph, fuel and oil levels from the machine. Known working display was put in this machine and wouldn't work. Previous owners said it slowly started going out after hitting waves, etc, until it finally quit alltogether. The mode and lockout code work fine, just no feedback as mentioned before. I'm guessing a ground or short somewhere, but have no idea as to what electronics send what or where. Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check the loom wires for corrosion. Also, the plugs joining the loom to the dash display have been known to be faulty (usually the start/stop). Check the loom is connected correctly in the electrical box. However I find it weird that all are not working and did not work when a known working gauge was installed because they all feed into the dash separately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean check the connections where the looms plug together for corrosion? What specifically is the start/stop? If one ground were corroded would that explain everything not working? Thanks a lot for the quick response! I'm gonna dig into it when I get off work tomorrow (I work nights)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Where the loom has plugs on it. And those plugs have wires which go to the dash. The start stop connections are black/white wires and red/brown. They wont explain your dash not working though. I just used them as an example. These plugs will be under the seat at the back of the fuel tank near the fuel filter. But what im saying saying is that the fuel sender and oil sender go separately into the dash. There is a big square plug (clear in colour) that has the power going to the gauge. Check the power wire (yellow with red stripe i think or possibly red) has 12V.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you've given me a few places to start. The display actually has some power to it because it shows when you put the unlock codes in after pushing mode. I'll start by checking all the connections for corrosion, adding electric grease at those connections, and jiggling everything I can to see if it enables anything, as well as checking where everything terminates in the electrical box. Are there any fuses in the electrical box that everything goes through that could have blown? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes there is a fuse but it will have no effect on the gauge. In that plug there will be a main power and a auxilary power. One is red and the other is yellow/red stripe. Im thinking that possibly one of those wires is corroded or that it may have been dis connected when someone was replacing a solenoid or something. You see, each accessory for the display connects up to the dash from numerous different plugs meaning it would be pretty difficult for all of these to fail at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this evening I unplugged and inspected every plug from the display to the electrical box. I opened the box and found nothing unplugged or corroded. I guess the next thing is get a wiring diagram and start testing continuity. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are all the plug colours matching up?? Is there two that have possibly been crossed because you can by pass the gauges on those. Also, if the gauge is getting power, which it is because the code works, than the auxilary is not working for some reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the plug colors matched. I didn't look specifically for that in the electrical box, but it seems like there were a lot of reds in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts