Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to go out on my 97 GSI this weekend for the first time in 3-4 weeks. Its been sitting on the lift over (fresh) water.

I plugged in the lanyard and got the familiar beeps and the guage came on. Pushed the start button and nothing happened. Took the battery out and charged it, reinstalled and tried again- nothing. So, looked at fuses and all okay. Traced the wires back from the starter motor to the rear electrical box by the battery. Took the cover off (along with the components that are attached) and noticed the electrical box was about 1/3 full of water! The components attached to the lid were wet.

Where do I go from here? Obviously when I get the thing fixed I will need to replace the seal.

Any chance that these components will work once dry? If so, what's the best way to dry them? Electrical contact cleaner maybe?

If there is a possibility they are ruined which parts do I need to buy? Solonoid? Ignition coil?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did read about rice somewhere else.

I let the components dryout for a couple days (just letting the rear electrical box sit open) and tried to start it. Nothing happened.

I then jumped the starter relay/solonoid and the starter motor turned. So I suppose its safe to conclude that at least the starter solonoid is bad. I have one on order and hopefully it will come in the mail today. Otherwise it'll be Monday before I get and install it. Sucks being in the middle of no place.

With any luck the coil will be okay and the engine will start up. Otherwise I will replace that part also.

The place that I ordered the solonoid from did not have a replacement electrical box gasket in stock. But since I may need the coil I can order it with that order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To give the rest of the story... I installed the new solenoid and it started right up. I did clean as many of the contacts to the solenoid and the coil as I could. There was quite a bit of oxidation on them.

Another question.
I haven't gotten the new gasket yet (and the jet ski is now in storage for the winter so no hurry) but what is the correct way to install the gasket on the rear electrical box? With the one I have on there I have put it on the box down around the ledge and then put the top on, but the gasket still works its way down under the top. Of course this is only on the backside so I can't see it. The gasket seems to be stretched out from this incorrect installation. After a couple of days sitting off of the box it seemed to go back to its original shape but still "squished" out on the back side when I tried to reinstall it. Perhaps with the new gasket I should try lubing up the gasket and top cap so it slides on easier?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts