Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my wife a 97 GTS at the beginning of this season and we both really love it.

But we have some questions.

First, it seems to go through gas really fast, as if it has a small tank. We have to switch it to reserve really quick and we have to fill it frequently. We take the seat off and eyeball the tank to make sure we get it full.

The most we have ever been able put in it is 5 gallons, including today after someone syphoned our gas out this week.

Could it be that small a tank?
- - - - - -
I like to do preventative maintenance on our stuff. What exactly should I do, and how often?

How about winter? We are on Table Rock Lake in Southern Missouri, which does not freeze. We keep our boat (outboard) on alift in our dock all winter.

TIA

·
Registered
811 Posts
I got my wife a 97 GTS at the beginning of this season and we both really love it.

But we have some questions.

First, it seems to go through gas really fast, as if it has a small tank. We have to switch it to reserve really quick and we have to fill it frequently. We take the seat off and eyeball the tank to make sure we get it full.

The most we have ever been able put in it is 5 gallons, including today after someone syphoned our gas out this week.

Could it be that small a tank?
- - - - - -
I like to do preventative maintenance on our stuff. What exactly should I do, and how often?

How about winter? We are on Table Rock Lake in Southern Missouri, which does not freeze. We keep our boat (outboard) on alift in our dock all winter.

TIA
Ok, yes your tank is smaller then new skis. Reason being your ski burns less fuel then skis like mine. Your fuel tank including reserve is 12.6 gallons. My skis hold about 16 gallons. You should get 4 -6 hours of running depending on how fast you run it.

Most important thing to keep an eye on is your oil injection pump, that is what could cook the motor if not working ok. Make sure you top it off each time to evaluate how much oil it is using. Check oil lines for signs of hardening, cracking or slipping off. Even though you are probably in fresh water you should flush out the system after each use. Flushing it out on the lift or trailer also gives you a chance to check in the engine compartment to see if things look good. This as long as you know how to run the water, in a nut shell, never have the water going thru the motor when it is not running. After you disconnect the water goose the motor once or twice to blow out the water. Then spray some CRC 666 anti-corrosion spray on everything.

For winterizing you need to add STABIL to the gas and run it so stablized fuel reaches the carbs, while spraying fogging oil into the carbs to coat the cylinders. Then remove the battery for winter storage and charging.

In the spring remove your carb and clean it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Ok, yes your tank is smaller then new skis. Reason being your ski burns less fuel then skis like mine. Your fuel tank including reserve is 12.6 gallons. My skis hold about 16 gallons. You should get 4 -6 hours of running depending on how fast you run it.

Yeah, I was figuring 12 gals, but wondering why we have to run it on reserve so quick and why 5 gals tops it off when it stops running on reserve. I have not been able to find fuel consumption figures like are available for boats. Our fuel gauge does not work, so we eyeball the tank.

Most important thing to keep an eye on is your oil injection pump, that is what could cook the motor if not working ok. Make sure you top it off each time to evaluate how much oil it is using.

How much should it be using?

Check oil lines for signs of hardening, cracking or slipping off. Even though you are probably in fresh water you should flush out the system after each use. Flushing it out on the lift or trailer also gives you a chance to check in the engine compartment to see if things look good. This as long as you know how to run the water, in a nut shell, never have the water going thru the motor when it is not running. After you disconnect the water goose the motor once or twice to blow out the water. Then spray some CRC 666 anti-corrosion spray on everything.

Probably can't flush it out after every use. No fresh water on dock.

For winterizing you need to add STABIL to the gas and run it so stablized fuel reaches the carbs, while spraying fogging oil into the carbs to coat the cylinders. Then remove the battery for winter storage and charging.

In the spring remove your carb and clean it.
How about stuff like plugs and fuel filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2006 RXT with RIVA STAGE THREE KIT 295 HP

2009 RXT-IS 255 HP

2008 GTX 215 HP

29 ' Outlaw 850 HP

& how much gas do you use? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For winter, can we just leave it on the lift? Our lake does not freeze, but we do get freezing temps.

We left our '88 Yamaha on the lift last winter and we leave our boat on the lift.

·
Registered
811 Posts
For winter, can we just leave it on the lift? Our lake does not freeze, but we do get freezing temps.

We left our '88 Yamaha on the lift last winter and we leave our boat on the lift.
I use alot of gas if I run hard. I am surprised at how little gas I use in my Riva Stage III RXT if I am running at 35 MPH. You should be ok with leaving it on the lift as long as you have winterized it properly and remove the battery to trickle charge over the winter. I would however wrap it in a heavy duty plastic tarp over your summer cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts