Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to PWC but am handy with a wrench. My 89 Johnson hasnt cost me over $80 in repairs in 3 years so I'm seriously considering a 97 GTX, 1 owner, garage kept, ~100hour ski with 140 compression in 1 cyl and 100 in the other.
I'm taking a compression gauge and a borescope to check it out. If the pistons and impeller/pump look good I will bring this one home with me.
I have learned a lot reading these forums but am curious what all you would look for in this ski?
It seems that the 800 Rotax is a favorite among many.
The ski and trailer are listed at $1,000. I'm willing to go that high but only if things look good.
Gauges all work so it seems like a decent deal.
With an upper rebuild kit running $200 (and I'm selling the trailer, already have one) I feel like this will be a good start.
Any input or advice definitely welcomed!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
1000 for a ski that old that needs a rebuild is to high. If it super clean, no hull damage top or bottom, 500 tops. You just don't know what you will get into when you open it up, and what caused the damage in the first place. That trailer is worth about 200 tops. They want top dollar and didn't even bother replacing the fenders on the trailer. lol Fenders are prob going to run about 120-150 for both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this gem of a machine. It's in amazing shape overall, but the top end needs rebuilding. I have found a few YT videos on rebuilding these but was wondering if anyone knew of a good guide/video?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to download a manual, but am in no hurry to disassemble this machine without understanding it first. Just looking for any good videos or other nuggets of info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts