Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZXi cranks and idles fine...even revs correctly when taking off from a great idle with no bogging... I depress the throttle and engine revs perfectly to 7500rpm and jet ski takes off...UNTIL about 30 mph...then rpms drop back to 6000 and thats it. If I continue to hold throttle for 30-45 secs engine will rev back to 7500 and ski takes off up to 50-55 for 8-10 secs and then power dies back off and drops to 6000 again....pattern continues for as long as I hold throttle. i can sometimes pump throttle and engine stays revved....

I can let off throttle...back to a idle ....gun it again and shes off like mad dog until it hits 30-35 mph and processs starts over....

any ideas??

·
Registered
209 Posts
Might be running too hot. There is a protective design that cuts ignition at high temps. It doesn't kill the engine completely, so you can limp back to the shore. I guess you have some cooling... maybe enough to keep it cool at up to 30 mph, but then temps creep up as you try to go faster. Time for a complete cooling hose / passages inspection & cleanout.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im thinking its not a cooling issue due to the fact it does it almost from the moment its cranked...even If I let ski cool for while, has same issue. Im leaning more to a fuel issue. I was told of some filters in the carb that do get stopped up. im gonna try.

1. new plugs
2. new fuel filter
3. take carbs off and clean them out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts