Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1998 kawasaki 1100 stx for cheep because the former owner could not get it fixed. History of ski as i was told. Ski would start but backfire thru exhaust. carbs have choke plates removed and primer installed. Has also been converted to premix. He also told me he had just had carbs rebuilt by kawasaki shop. Still having same problem he decided to sell. After buying it things that i have done in trying to fix it. Checked reeds and found one broken reed petal and replaced it. checked woodruff key on flywheel. all is good. Checked compression 115 on all cylinders. Replaced rectifier. Checked crank phazing by bringing mag cylinder to tdc and measuring down to cylinder two and three with digital caliper and they were the same. pulled stator cover inspection hole cover and brought mag piston to tdc and pointer on cover was at leading edge of magnet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,057 Posts
Does it still have the cv carbs, or did they swap to cdk2 carbs ? Did they remove the oil pump and small stator, and oil pump drive when it was converted ? Is the oil tank still in it, and if so, does it have any oil in it ?

·
Super Moderator
5,057 Posts
Whoops. Small stator cover/cooling cover. You can get a block off plate and remove that cover and just connect the cooling lines together. Then pull the stator and remove the oil pump drive from it. The bearings on it are sealed bearings. That's what the cooling is there for. They do wear out from lack of lubrication.

It's prob running lean with the chokes removed. The cv carbs don't like that. They're already on the lean side, and removing the choke makes it worse. Did they remove the plugs covering the low speed screws ? If so, might check the settings. Try putting a little premix down the carbs and see if it fires off.
You can either try and re jet them, or convert it to cdk carbs, or just get another set of cv carbs. I believe all you would need is the carbs and air cleaner base.
When the cv's are working, I hear they are great, but....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you can start it by using primer but it will start backfiring thru exhaust bad. it seems like a timing issue to me. if it is a lean condition could i just re jet carbs to compensate for missing choke plates? go up one size on both idle and main? It seem like it is more than just a carb problem to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
what i am trying to say is ski will start and idle as it warms up backfiring increases bad. almost like one or two cylinders are firing at the wrong time. plugs are not fowled and have spark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts