Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where my thread went to...so I'll try again.

I bought this wave runner from my next door neighbor. It had been rebuilt about 20 hours ago due to oil starvation. It was very hard to start but after it started it ran decently on the hose. I decided to remove the oil pump and install the cover. After I did this it would hardly run at all...shook..sputtered etc. As the carbs had never been rebuilt, I decided to give that a try. I bought the kits from SBT, installed them and started the engine, immediately ran away. Called SBT and found out the correct springs for this system (85 grams) were not in the kit. Ordered those, installed them, started it up...same thing. The rebuild seemed fairly simple, especially with Utube videos showing you how to do it. I set all the mixtures to factory specs.....

I was told that I should put it in the water and give it a try with some drag.....seems to me it should idle on the hose. As it ran before....I don't think it's the fuel supply or the valve..but it could be.
Maybe the springs are not correct....but it the "pop off' test was close to specs. From what I can see, the rear engine seals are intact and where they should be...again, it ran before.

Compression is equal in all three.

As the RPM's come down when it's choked...seems it's running way to lean. I think somehow, I have done something wrong in the rebuild.

One last thing, it appears that the carb is divided into two parts, a pump and a regulator. If it is getting fuel, then it would seem that the pump side is doing it's job and perhaps the problem is on the regulator side where the spring is housed.???

or...maybe it's something else altogether.

I am doing the test runs with the carburetor cover off if that make a difference...?

I'm stumped

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Runaway indicates that the carbs are either set way too lean, or more commonly you have an air leak. Check all the hoses coming to the carbs. and make sure they are tight and zip tied in place. Look carefully for splits in hoses and other areas that you might have a leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured it out....duh!

See the above. I went through the carburetors again and found nothing out of tolerance including the pop off pressures. When I started to put the carb manifold back on the motor, I noticed ...after some stareing at it ....that the intake manifold gasket was on backwards. It can go on two ways..I turned it around, completed putting everything back together and it runs fine. Hard to start when its cold...but it seems to run fine after its running.....

It will really go....

Lesson learned. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts