Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to site and hope one of you experienced Yamaha people can help.

Just bought a 98 GP 760 with 71hrs and original owner, ski in great shape but had not been run since last fall. Went through oil system replaced lines made sure it was oiling and replaced plugs,made sure water was pumping etc.

Here is my problem.

When first starting even after you have run it for some time you will have to use the primer or it will just crank even if you squeeze the throttle like its not getting initial fuel, when running at idle or slightly above and you give it full throttle it will bog and die out. If you squeeze the throttle slowly and get it going a bit it throttles fine and runs great. It never just dies out while running and you can idle around fine and take off,pull tubes etc just the first start up and trying to get going with heavy throttle.

So here is my problem with it and was wondering if these carbs have primary squirters or maybe they need to be cleaned or what.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am not a Yamaha expert, however your problem is more than likely dirty carbs. They can get varnished and gummed up. If you don't know the last time they were cleaned then do it. Floats start sticking, main jets and idling jets get partially blocked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to Yamaha for inspection tomorrow. I will see what they say but Im with you most likely gummed up so they will be cleaning the carbs no matter what.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts