Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!!!! I tried to start my 98 Gp1200 for the first time this year in order to sell it and as luck would have it, TROUBLE. haha It is always a little hard starting for the first time every year but usually goes and have no problems. It was cranking over fine and then when i let off of the start button it continued to crank. Pulled the kill switch lanyard, didnt help. I had to disconnect the battery. As soon as i touch the cable back to the battery it begins to crank. Please tell me what my problem is!!! Thanks for any help in advance!!! Shannon

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try testing your connection on your start button? Might be as simple as that, shoot it with some WD or other penetrating oil and work the button some. corrision could be your problem. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that the first chance i get.. If the kill switch lanyard is not connected should it still turn over but not start or should it not turn over at all?? Thanks Shannon

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try disconnecting the white connector under the hood that has the brown and red wires in it. If it quits turning over, then you need a new start switch assembly. If not, then you probably have a bad starter solenoid. These are the only problems I've seen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where is this start solenoid. I just put in a brand new starter but am having the same trouble. I disconnected all the connectors like the poster and it still shorts. I tested the starter relay and its ok? If its on the starter can you just replace the solenoid?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The solenoid is the starter relay. In the elec box. You say it is OK but i say its not. Replace the starter relay and the problem will be fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts