Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 98 kawasaki 1100 stx for the kids on my street so I can pull them wakeboarding etc. It hadn't run since 06 or so and was from Miami so definitely a saltwater ski. It started but a lot of oil came out of the back. I drained all the fuel and refilled and put Amsoil synth oil in it and changed the plugs. I changed the fuel filter since it looked original. It ran great for about 20 minutes and began to slow at top speed as the engine felt like it ran out of fuel. It ran very strong going through markers I put in the lake and spinning out and then it would just die. The only way it would start would be to choke it and then sometimes it would idle and die when I gave it throttle or it would just die right after it started. Feathering the throttle didn't do much. If I gave it throttle with the choke pulled it would run hard briefly. As a lawyer, I try to give back what I can to the community and it was tough telling the kids the ski quit after they were so excited. I have a great deal of experience with cars and mechanicals as I own a restoration shop. I can do the work, just need some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
dmax said:
Bought a 98 kawasaki 1100 stx for the kids on my street so I can pull them wakeboarding etc. It hadn't run since 06 or so and was from Miami so definitely a saltwater ski. It started but a lot of oil came out of the back. I drained all the fuel and refilled and put Amsoil synth oil in it and changed the plugs. I changed the fuel filter since it looked original. It ran great for about 20 minutes and began to slow at top speed as the engine felt like it ran out of fuel. It ran very strong going through markers I put in the lake and spinning out and then it would just die. The only way it would start would be to choke it and then sometimes it would idle and die when I gave it throttle or it would just die right after it started. Feathering the throttle didn't do much. If I gave it throttle with the choke pulled it would run hard briefly. As a lawyer, I try to give back what I can to the community and it was tough telling the kids the ski quit after they were so excited. I have a great deal of experience with cars and mechanicals as I own a restoration shop. I can do the work, just need some advice. Thanks.

check the reeds.

charged battery?

the carbs might be gummed up from sitting so long.....needle and seat stuck?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remy,
I just put in a new fully charged battery last week. I'm not sure what I'm looking for as far as reeds. Are they noticably damaged if they are bad? I just pulled the carbs off and inside of the diaprhagm housing (the big black rubber ones with the needles attached) was coverd with what looks like salt crystals. Probably from being used in the ocean. The needles look good. Ive seen rebuild kits for the Keihin carbs for $115.00 each. Is that right? The diaprhagms are supple the extreme edge is a little rough. The float needles seem to be free in the seats and I've really cleaned all the passages. Otherwise, they are very clean inside. I've done a bunch of Mikunis and these are completely different. I don't have the tool to check pop off pressure. Looks like about 60 bucks. I cleaned the salt out and I think I'll just put them back together and give it a try. just seems wierd that it has so much power then it cuts out, comes back on then won't restart until its choked and runs at 1/4 throttle a minute then dies again. Frustrating. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
dmax said:
Remy,
I just put in a new fully charged battery last week. I'm not sure what I'm looking for as far as reeds. Are they noticably damaged if they are bad? I just pulled the carbs off and inside of the diaprhagm housing (the big black rubber ones with the needles attached) was coverd with what looks like salt crystals. Probably from being used in the ocean. The needles look good. Ive seen rebuild kits for the Keihin carbs for $115.00 each. Is that right? The diaprhagms are supple the extreme edge is a little rough. The float needles seem to be free in the seats and I've really cleaned all the passages. Otherwise, they are very clean inside. I've done a bunch of Mikunis and these are completely different. I don't have the tool to check pop off pressure. Looks like about 60 bucks. I cleaned the salt out and I think I'll just put them back together and give it a try. just seems wierd that it has so much power then it cuts out, comes back on then won't restart until its choked and runs at 1/4 throttle a minute then dies again. Frustrating. Thanks for your help.

as far as reeds are concerned, they should all have good corners, and be touching or very close to the cage... personally ive never had the pleasure:rolleyes: of keihin carbs.... 115$ sounds a little steep....... have you run a compression check? maybe check all the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs....did you happen to see what the carb jetting was? it sounds like the motor is good, but the fuel delivery is bad....

i would take the choke plates out, and put a primer kit in....much healthier for the motor...

is there a seperate tank for oil?? if so you might wanna consider removing the oil pump and just running pre-mix gas....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts