Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 STX 900, that runs great. Shut it down for 10- 15 minutes and all it will do is idle and make minimal power. Acts as if it is vapor locked. When you go to full throttle, it does'nt make enough power to get on plane. After a few minutes of this, it clears out and runs fine. Anyone have similar problems or ideas on where to look to correct it? Thanks in advance. -T

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had A 98 see-doo Challenger boat that had the same problem. All we did was disconnected the oil lines all together, and mixed the oil in the gas at 50:1 and every thing ran fine..
JUST DON"T FORGET TO ADD OIL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vapor lock means exactly that--the engine locks up due to liquids not being able to be compressed. If it cranks at all, it means that it is not locked up! Once a motor is vapor locked, you have to remove the spark plugs and evacuate the fuel/air/water that is in the cylinder by cranking it over, then replacing the plugs and starting it.

On the other hand, if it's not producing power, either you have a fuel delivery issue or your timing could be off. Checking the oil mixture couldn't hurt either, and if your carbs are too lean or rich, it could lead to power loss (also compression check the motor to ensure that your pistons are healthy).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Vapor lock means exactly that--the engine locks up due to liquids not being able to be compressed. If it cranks at all, it means that it is not locked up! Once a motor is vapor locked, you have to remove the spark plugs and evacuate the fuel/air/water that is in the cylinder by cranking it over, then replacing the plugs and starting it.
I believe that what you are refering to there is called "Hydraulic" not vapor lock. Vapor lock is when you have air trapped in a line and then fuel, oil, or water can't get past that air/vapor block.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hydro lock, correct. My mistake! Vapor lock is the problem with the fuel delivery system. I just had them confused when I wrote about it last night. (it was waaaay late!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts