Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm looking at a 98 STX900 that needs a engine work. The ski itself is in good condition with very minor hull damage. And that's all I know about the machine so far.

When I take a look at this craft, what questions should I be asking? A list of good questions to ask would be GREATLY appreciated. I know to inquire about hours, but thats about all.

Also, as a side question what are your experiences with this machine? Good? Bad?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jamesk said:
Hi All,
I'm looking at a 98 STX900 that needs a engine work. The ski itself is in good condition with very minor hull damage. And that's all I know about the machine so far.

When I take a look at this craft, what questions should I be asking? A list of good questions to ask would be GREATLY appreciated. I know to inquire about hours, but thats about all.

Also, as a side question what are your experiences with this machine? Good? Bad?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback.
The very first question to ask is why does the engine need work? If it ingested water, it could be a total loss unless you are a properly equipped mechanic. SBT sells replacement engines that could ease the pain. I would also look at the general condition of the ski. It is 9 years old so it will not be perfect so expect issues. With that in mind though if it is very clean then it may be a keeper. If the engine compartment looks trashed, oily, not taken care of then you may start finding other issues once the engine is pulled. Now you will have to start replacing stuff you hadn't expected, hoses, wires etc.... I wouldn't get hung up on hours, you really need to look it over and go with your gut. It is obvious if the previous owner took care of it. He may of taken excellent care and sucked in water. His loss your gain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts