Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! 98 Waverunner - Runs Slow - then really fast!

Hi - I am new to the forum. I'm not an expert but I'm not a dummy either (i do drafting and took 2 years of mech engineering). I'm always tinkering and (used to with my ex) on our cars bikes and now jetskis! Anyway, I have a '98 Waverunner I "inherited" from my X. I decided to run it last weekend and it runs in "spurts". It runs ok but not powerful like it used to at (least consistently). I can cruisae along and if make throttle all the way then all of a sudden it has aburst of power and then it goes back to the consistent power kind of up and down. Like I said it runs ok at about 3/4 throttle but I can tell its not as constant fast or powerful like it should be (except when it all of a sudden goes!).

Anyway - is there an adjustment I can easily try to access? Me and my dad found a website that shows schematic and we took the air cleaner off and the air filter base and can see the "meter needle"....will that help?

Thanks for any help!
rm ; )

·
Registered
227 Posts
SOunds like a high speed circuit issue but not positive. I'd take off the carbs and go through them very carefully including pop-off pressure and fuel pump tests.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops sorry, Its a GP1200W.

It runs smooth at 50Kmh but at full throttle it goes in power spurts jumping fom 50 to 70 but the power surge only lasts afew seconds. When I hold the throttle at about 3/4 it riuns well as mentioned. I can tell its like it should have that power when it surges the whole time the the throttle is full open but like i mentioned it jusst kind of intermittent. Thanks for your reply. rm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked a guy at the marina and he said to chnge ethe fuel filter. Does anyone think that could be the problem?

Thanks! rm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks JIT,

I've burned 3 tanks of gas, 1 with a can of Sea Foam and it still seems to do it.

I don't know what it could be and I thought maybe it would "burn off" but no luck yet. Like said it runs nice and smoothe at 50Kmh (3/4 throttle) but when you give it full throttle it surges to full power for a 2-3 seconds then back down for a few seconds then up again.

I don;t think I'm ready to tackle carburators though....if thats what it is.

Thanks again, Ra

1 - 8 of 8 Posts