Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am brand new to the website so please bare with me. I purchased a 1998 yamaha xl1200 last year with new motor from a yamaha dealer. The previous owner spent over 8000 for the ski and repairs in less than 5 months prior to me owning it. It ran great all last year. It still runs good but I have had the oil injection line coming off at the check valves. I have tried zip tying these several times with no success. So I decided to remove the oil injection pump and premix the gas and oil. I received the block off plate yesterday and installed it today. I am going to use the old oil lines to install a primer for the motor since it is hard to start. My question is this. Since I removed the oil tank there is a electrical hook up there. With the tank off and hook up disconnected will the motor run. Or should I reinstall the tank and plug the bottom of the tank off and leave oil in the tank so that the sensor will assume it is reading oil in the tank even though I am premixing now. Just wanted some professional advise on the matter. Please remember the ski runs great. The only issue was oil lines coming loose. I was afraid of burning up a motor because of faulty lines.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You can just remove the oil sensor wire, and wire the 2 leads together. It will read full all the time on the display.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought there should be a way. I was going to reinstall the tank with oil in it and just put a plug on the bottom of the oil tank so I could leave oil in the tank and the sensor would see oil and not light up. But your way is a lot better and easier and lighter.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks. I thought there should be a way. I was going to reinstall the tank with oil in it and just put a plug on the bottom of the oil tank so I could leave oil in the tank and the sensor would see oil and not light up. But your way is a lot better and easier and lighter.
Yea the other way that I've heard guys do it is to tie the float sensor in the oil tank in an up position, that way you don't have to leave oil in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts