Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I just start up the ski it runs fine, but after I do a few sharp turns and stuff it seems like it only runs three quarters of top speed. Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I just start up the ski it runs fine, but after I do a few sharp turns and stuff it seems like it only runs three quarters of top speed. Can anyone help? Thanks.

My 99 xlt 1200 was running the same way today! only getting 45 mph and has been bogging! I ordered a D-Plate today to eliminate the cat/converter but I doubt if that is my prob, changed the plugs..

HELP US!

·
Registered
323 Posts
DILTS, post your problem with full details and I can help you. Guys, have you done the usual, checked the compression etc. 98 XL is a different motor to the 99XLT. SO for the 98, I would check the continuity for the high tension leads and plug caps. The old 1200 motors are well known for crappy HT leads. Have the carbs been done recently?, because the old 1200 motors are also well known for destroying check valves in the fuel pumps. There was an updated fuel pump body released as a update for that motor some years later. It is not painted so you will know if you have the updated version. Also, is this happening when the fuel tap is on reserve??? 99XLT do knock out cat convertors causing an intermittent problem usually during sharp turns( dur to the pieces getting stuck in exhaust, waterbox etc), however you have not provided much info about the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am only getting around 47mph top speed.. It bogs especially when weaving in and out or going in circles..

My compression front to back is 97, 102, and 104..

I don't no if the carbs have been rebuilt or anything I bought the wave runners about a month ago.. It was running around 55mph when I first got it and didn't bog like it does now.. Could I have got water in some where I shouldn't have?? I just find it weird that the problems just started..

I drained all of the old gas out filled it with premium poured in a bottle of sea foam and changed the plugs, I haven't been weaving in and out or doing any circles and it's running a little better BUT still bogs some and only does around 47mph.. I have only ran a half tank threw since I did all of this though..

Thanks for any help on where to start next.. could My propeller be causing any of my issues?

dumb question but where is the fuel pump located?

·
Registered
323 Posts
generally a carb issue wont restrict top end speed. However, carbs will effect take off. I would recommend pulling the carbs off and giving them a good clean out (fuel pumps on each carb) to eliminate this take off potential problem. Its good to do the carbs anyway to see what condition theyre in. When you are pulling the carbs off, you will have to pull the echaust off which means you can physically look inside the rear exhaust and check that the cat/convertor is still intact. If not, replace with d plate and sensor cut off. Parts of the cat/con can get caught in the exhaust causing performance problems. Also, check the condition of your impeller for any dents etc and the liner gap should be under 1mm. All these things would pretty much ensure you have checked eveything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got 48mph tonight. with and without a passanger.. The ski already has a dplate and chip.. When I first got to the lake today it ran like crap died trying to get on plane but once I got it up on plane it ran fine the rest of the time NO bogging.. I wasing weaving in or out or anything though.. and like I said still only read 48mph... I will check the carbs soon hopefully...

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the impeller is damaged, you will feel a vibration. However, I would now check the power valves. Pull the caps off and make sure they are physically working. Sometimes the pin can break in the top meaning the electric motor will still work but it wont turn the valves. Also, if you use synthetic oil instead of mineral oil, it can clog the valves breaking the plastic connectors between them and/or breaking the top pins. If this is the case, you will have to pull them all out and clean them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
How about your air filter? Does it have mold or water on it? It is dirty or clogged? This will affect top speed and will run good on the trailer under no load, but once on the water and needing volume of air it will cause it to lower speeds. Have seen this many times on the yamaha's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts