Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
DILTS, post your problem with full details and I can help you. Guys, have you done the usual, checked the compression etc. 98 XL is a different motor to the 99XLT. SO for the 98, I would check the continuity for the high tension leads and plug caps. The old 1200 motors are well known for crappy HT leads. Have the carbs been done recently?, because the old 1200 motors are also well known for destroying check valves in the fuel pumps. There was an updated fuel pump body released as a update for that motor some years later. It is not painted so you will know if you have the updated version. Also, is this happening when the fuel tap is on reserve??? 99XLT do knock out cat convertors causing an intermittent problem usually during sharp turns( dur to the pieces getting stuck in exhaust, waterbox etc), however you have not provided much info about the problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
generally a carb issue wont restrict top end speed. However, carbs will effect take off. I would recommend pulling the carbs off and giving them a good clean out (fuel pumps on each carb) to eliminate this take off potential problem. Its good to do the carbs anyway to see what condition theyre in. When you are pulling the carbs off, you will have to pull the echaust off which means you can physically look inside the rear exhaust and check that the cat/convertor is still intact. If not, replace with d plate and sensor cut off. Parts of the cat/con can get caught in the exhaust causing performance problems. Also, check the condition of your impeller for any dents etc and the liner gap should be under 1mm. All these things would pretty much ensure you have checked eveything.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the impeller is damaged, you will feel a vibration. However, I would now check the power valves. Pull the caps off and make sure they are physically working. Sometimes the pin can break in the top meaning the electric motor will still work but it wont turn the valves. Also, if you use synthetic oil instead of mineral oil, it can clog the valves breaking the plastic connectors between them and/or breaking the top pins. If this is the case, you will have to pull them all out and clean them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts