Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring I bought a used 1999 yamaha xl1200 ltd. The engine had been replaced with a rebuilt engine from SBT, and had been given the following mods: Riva Power Filter Kit, D-Plate (with accompanying temp sensor replacement chip), and the Free Flow exhaust kit to replace the sound supressor. Everything else about the engine is stock.

Its always run too rich, but my local dealer won't do anything for me since its been modified. Everything ran fine last year, and I probably put 30 hours on it.

I just took it out for the first time this season yesterday, and the fuel cock was broken. To fix the fuel issue, I attached the reserve fuel line to the fuel filter, bypassing the cock, and got the engine started. It was running a little richer than usual, and wouldn't reach the last ~200 rpms that I was expecting out of it, but other than that, it was running very well.

Today I was out on the water (brackish if that matters), and ran it pretty hard for about an hour and a half. At that point, the engine died on me and wouldn't turn over. The battery was fully charged, so I think something in the engine had seized. This had never happened before, and I wasn't sure what was going on, so I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then tried to start it up again. (I was in the middle of a very large river. I didn't have any choice but to ride it back to shore)

It started, and ran normally for about 1 minute, before shutting off and refusing to turn over again. I let it sit for a while again before starting it up and limping back to shore at idle speed.

Does anyone know what this could be? I initially thought it had jsut flooded itself (which happens occasionally), but when the engine wouldn't crank I got really worried. The problem didn't go away after letting it sit for a while, so I don't think it was a fluke occurrence. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What could the problem be? Is it safe to start again? Its anchored pretty far from a boat ramp, so to get it out of the water would require starting the engine or getting towed.

Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update: I've taken a closer look at the engine, and upon pulling the spark plugs, it looks like the piston in the forward cylinder actually HIT the plug. Its smashed pretty flat, and also looks burned. What could possibly cause that??? I haven't abused this thing at all.

The engine struggles to turn over. I'm getting towed to the nearest ramp, and trying to find someone to look at it, since the only dealer I know won't do anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
bump.. anybody?

Any ideas what the problem might be? I still haven't gotten it towed off the water yet, and I'm really trying to get an idea what could've happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts