Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine has a 99 yamaha gp1200 that we use for the river. my question is, everytime we push the start button the engine doesnt click over (completley dead). what do you think the problem might be? some where from the battery to the engine isnt getting any power? or starter? another thing is a year ago the engine was completley under water but the waverunner was semi floating. the plugs were in but wonder how the waverunner would take in water like that?

thanks, jack

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
1) Make sure your battery is fully charged

2) Press "mode" and "a" at the same time then the dash should prompt you to entert he security code which is usually AAAA. Then it will say "start."

When the motor took in water did you remove the spark plugs and crank it to expel the water? Then ran it at high speed for at least an hour?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Make sure your battery is fully charged

2) Press "mode" and "a" at the same time then the dash should prompt you to entert he security code which is usually AAAA. Then it will say "start."

When the motor took in water did you remove the spark plugs and crank it to expel the water? Then ran it at high speed for at least an hour?
No power at all. We let the engine dry up and it started fine. Next season, it had no power, bought a new battery, switch battery from the 3 seater and still would not click over

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
That is what I am trying to explain is if the battery is disconnected the computer goes into security lockout mode and you have to enter your security code to be able to crank the motor.

And if you sit let your water ingested motor just sit it is probably internally rusted. Basically a yacht anchor now. That's a big no-no.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yamaha gp's have a security feature in which you have to hold the mode button until it prompts for the security code. Default is AAAA (this can and should be changed for your own use, directions are in the owners manual). Inputting this code turns the system to "start" mode. Ensure that the lanyard is engaged, then its as easy as choking and starting like normal.
Other than that, make sure the battery is fully charged, and correctly attached and secured.
Also, when the battery is disconnected, the ski will return to "lock" mode as a security precaution. Thus the code will need to be put in again to turn it to "start" mode.
I hope this helps solve your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yamaha gp's have a security feature in which you have to hold the mode button until it prompts for the security code. Default is AAAA (this can and should be changed for your own use, directions are in the owners manual). Inputting this code turns the system to "start" mode. Ensure that the lanyard is engaged, then its as easy as choking and starting like normal.
Other than that, make sure the battery is fully charged, and correctly attached and secured.
Also, when the battery is disconnected, the ski will return to "lock" mode as a security precaution. Thus the code will need to be put in again to turn it to "start" mode.
I hope this helps solve your issue.
ive already tried that. i think theres something from the battery to the engine thats not getting any power. any other advice you can give me?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only other things I can think of would be that there may be corrosion on the battery connection, bad/corroded wires internally, or most likely a bad starter.

Was the engine running while submerged, allowing it to take in water?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts