Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a decision to make. I have a 99 ZXI 1100. I love it; it runs like a scalded cat & is a blast to ride. I also have two bigger yamahas, but they're more like being on the family sedan. End of last season the XZI started bogging down when first accellerating -- it'd bog down for 30-45 seconds & then take off. I was busy so I took it to a shop -- but one I'd never used - to have the carbs rebuilt. They rebuilt them but it didn't resolve the problem. They say the tried several times. Ultimately charged me a few hours labor & no charge on the kits used.

When I got it back, it wouldn't even start. Again, very busy so took it to my local Kawi dealer. They tested it out & said it needed a stator. Now, i'm wondering if the bogging problem was ignition all along.

Any thoughts on that? I'm pretty mechanical, have an engine hoist & space to work on it so wouldn't actually mind pulling the motor to replaced the stator, but I hate going through all that if it's going to need new carbs too -- it's just not worth enough to justify that sort of expense.

Thoughts on whether the stator would cause the bogging problem?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Is it running fine now? If so I'd go back the first place and ask for a refund. They should not have charged you anything since they misdiagnosed the issue and never fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply YamaDoo.

No, it's not running yet because the stator hasn't been replaced. I didn't have the Kawi dealer do the work... estimate was $1100 which is too much to put into it -- it's probably only worth about double that & I'd probably do better parting it out before putting that much into it.

I was about to post an ad to part it out when I decided to research the part price... stators appear to go for about $250-300 so I'm considering pulling the engine & doing the work myself. Just don't want to put another $300 into it + all the work & still have the same problem so was looking for feedback from others w/more experience first. I work on cars all the time (even built my own custom car) -- but never dealt with a stator before so don't know if it's likely it'd have been causing the bogging problem.

Ok for that matter, does it make sense that a bad stator would keep the thing from starting? I just read up a bit about stators & it sounds like a substitute for an alternator -- charges the battery. If that's the case, seems like the ski would start when jumped from a vehicle -- I tried that & it cranks strong but does not start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts