Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am just about the buy my first PWC. While I know there are countless docking options right now my wife keeps a close eye on spending and I would rather not go out and spend more and more on each item for my new purchase.

We currently have a multi-port dock with a few slips, of which we only use one. Is there a problem with me using a regular dock to store my PWC during the summer months?

Is it bad for the PWC to sit in the water when it is not in use for days at a time?

What is the benefit of storing the PWC out of the water?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
In salt water, you can get many problems with corrosion of the pump, swelling of the wear ring, etc., so I definitely would not recommend extended storage in salt water, (even overnight).

In fresh water, leaving it in the water for a few weeks is usually not a problem. I know guys at my lake that do it for weeks at a time. Still you get crud build up on you hull after a fairly short period of time even in fresh water. It is usually something that you can clean off, but it can sometimes take considerable work. Given several months and you would probably start seeing barnacles growing on the hull. That is one reason they put anti-fouling paint on boats that are going to be stored in the water. Left long enough and you have to worry about the fiberglass blistering from water penetrating the hull, but I think this would take a long time to develop on a ski.

Even in fresh water the pump system (many metal parts) is going to stay in the water, so corrosion can be a factor, but I think the bigger problem in fresh water is with electrolysis.

Then you have the worry of the ski sinking or getting banged up against the dock. Some models do not have a bilge pump, and some models have pumps that only work if the engine is running, so you'd want to check out what system your ski has.

If you have a new ski you should also check with the manufacturer. I know that SeaDoo used to advise never storing their skis in the water (maybe still do). It may even void your warranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts