Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in purchasing a PWC. I'm going to start with something used, see how I like it before going with a new machine .. I'd like a 2 or 3 seater, and it definatly needs the ability to lift a skier out of the water. How much Horsepower should I be looking at (minimum)? Is Sea-Doo the way to go? I've been camping for the past week, got my first chance to ride on a PWC and I've fallen in love. Any suggestions or help would be great! I've been looking in the local classifieds ... 1995/96/97 Sea Doo SPX / Bombardier's are going for around $2,000 ... ~110Horsepower .. is that enough to easily get a skiier out of the water?

-Darryl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at around $2000 but I can go higher if needed. What I'm really interested in knowing is, what horsepower is required on a 3 seater jetski (with 2 riders) to pull a skiier out of the water? Maine state law requires a spotter .. so there would be a driver, spotter, and skiier .. will 85HP do it? 110HP?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your help last night. i'll let you know what I end up with! keep in touch
-Darryl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same question. If I want to pull a 100 - 150 lb person on a wakeboard or a tube, what size PWC should I be looking for?
Is a 950 cc enough or do I need a 1,100 cc or 1,200 cc or more?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go with Yamaha, they are bulletproof. Its difficult do pull a skier though, with the throttle being your pointerfinger and all. Buy a boat for that, tubing is ok

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up getting a 1999 Sea-Doo GTX Limited, with 60 hours on it. Garaged its whole life, thing is like new. I'm hoping to get it into the water this weekend before I start my new job on Monday. I will let you all know how it does at pulling a skiier!!!!
-Darryl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iceman3K said:
Why should I avoid polaris? I am new to the PWC game and would love the info.
bad parts, bad manufacturing, can anyone correct me if im wrong? ive been warned about polaris by two different people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mannox said:
bad parts, bad manufacturing, can anyone correct me if im wrong? ive been warned about polaris by two different people.
that is interesting. I am new to the game so I am just gathering information before I purchase a PWC. I do not want to pull anything and only want a 2 seater. I would like something light weight with good power, and the Polaris' seem to have both of those qualities over the rest. I was looking at a 99 785 Pro with some mods.

I was also in the Honda dealership and saw a 4 stroke R-12x turbo that looked pretty nice ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
sea doo all the way. great service awesome upgrades. riva baby. also 215 hp :). go with the rxt, but then again oyu are looking for used and 2000. so nevermind but if u change your mind rxp or rxt. definatly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
zackslapshot19 said:
sea doo all the way. great service awesome upgrades. riva baby. also 215 hp :). go with the rxt, but then again oyu are looking for used and 2000. so nevermind but if u change your mind rxp or rxt. definatly.
rxt/rxp weigh ~760+, they have a lot of power at 215hp, but wow thats heavy. Do they still feel nimble? I really want something light and powerful

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 stroke 135HP is well over enough to pull a skiier. I got out on the river today with my ski (1999 sea doo GTX limited), it has quite the 'get up and go'. I am very happy with it, it was a bit choppy on the throttle .. i went home and cleaned the spark plugs, put them back in, problem gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts