Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I accidentally ran my '01 Yamaha XL800 into shallow muddy water...I am a complete noob when it comes to my Waverunner...I was returning back to the boat launch going thru a small creek channel, and we were in a no wake zone. A fairly large boat came in behind me pretty quickly, so I moved to the side to let them by...I was about 10 feet away from the shore, but I noticed I was turning up mud behind me. The engine never cut off, but it just wouldn't go...It wouldn't get past 2mph...When I got it home I flushed it...It is starting fine...after flushing it actually sounds much better...I found a similar post that says to:
Sand will be pushed into the cooling system by the jet pump and can cause overheating of the engine and exhaust due to restricted coolant flow. Running the ski on a flush hose will help push the sand back out of the engine. Rolling the ski over 360 degrees in the water and then starting the engine will help to remove any sand trapped in the bottom of the cylinders cooling passages. Gravel will damage the impeller, impeller housing and guide vanes in the pump. Inspect the pump and remove any gravel that is lodged in the pump
Any other suggestions? I know I eff'ed up, I just hope it's not too bad...Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
As the title says I accidentally ran my '01 Yamaha XL800 into shallow muddy water...I am a complete noob when it comes to my Waverunner...I was returning back to the boat launch going thru a small creek channel, and we were in a no wake zone. A fairly large boat came in behind me pretty quickly, so I moved to the side to let them by...I was about 10 feet away from the shore, but I noticed I was turning up mud behind me. The engine never cut off, but it just wouldn't go...It wouldn't get past 2mph...When I got it home I flushed it...It is starting fine...after flushing it actually sounds much better...I found a similar post that says to:

Any other suggestions? I know I eff'ed up, I just hope it's not too bad...Thanks for any help!!
When you start it on land and rev it up does it go all the way to the rev limiter?

If you have the ability to rev but are not going anywhere and are having cavitation issues, I would check the impeller and wear ring.......

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check the pump unit and inlet for any blockages. And if it overheats next time you use it you may have got a blockage in the water jacket. So stay close to shore for 5 mins before you cruise off next time you use it just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got her in the water yesterday, and after flushing it 3 times...She ran like nothing ever happened...Thanks for the replies!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done the same thing with my 2001 xlt 1200 exept now mine won't start at all, do u have any ideas on what I can do to fix it?
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts