Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through some posts and pinned post. Rode before but looking for what is best way to research used models on balance but still have good power? Are there different widths? or just models? I am looking for some power and speed and 3 seater but with my 11 year old daughter on the back on a big lake to feel safe as well. oldest models looking at to be about 15 years old at most is what I am thinking. willing to spend $5-8K each. wanting a couple of them. Any advice for me on model searching or how to search the best way i would appreciate! So many make and models!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read through some posts and pinned post. Rode before but looking for what is best way to research used models on balance but still have good power? Are there different widths? or just models? I am looking for some power and speed and 3 seater but with my 11 year old daughter on the back on a big lake to feel safe as well. oldest models looking at to be about 15 years old at most is what I am thinking. willing to spend $5-8K each. wanting a couple of them. Any advice for me on model searching or how to search the best way i would appreciate! So many make and models!
There are dozens of different shapes and sizes depending on Brand, normally there are three different sizes per year, a Single seater, a Double and a Cruiser style that holds three people.
I ride a Cruiser as I have children and Grand children, I also tow with my Ski so have an 1800CC Supercharged that has well over 250HP.
I can also go out fishing on my Cruiser as two normal sized people not big fat people or Obese people but two 90 kg Men can walk around on my Ski and not capsize it.
I looked at two seaters and also Singles, but they were far to easy to capsize trying to move around on them.
If you have no friends and just want to ride by yourself then I would still recommend a Cruiser as you can do so much more with them and they still have as much power as the smaller Single or Double seater, you just can't pick them up and move them about as easily ;)
There isn't much difference in price either as for some reason not many want the larger Skis ?
I got my 2008 FX SHO for only $5500 a few years ago and haven't looked back, it had only done 256 hours and was in great condition, a new one was only $21,000 more expensive and also had about 75 HP more power.
I have done a few mods to my Ski since I had over $20K spare and ended up spending $3,000, this added a lot more power better cooling and better breathing, I am spending another $850 which will give me a performance Stainless Pump as well as a new performance Impeller.
My Ski does an easy 70 MPH by the GPS on calm water with a Pillion on or with Two of my Grand Children and myself.
I can pull three on a tube and two Skiers or any combination of a spotter and either a tube and a Skier depending on who is on the Tube as Skiers need to be pulled out fast or two on Wakeboards or a combination as well :)
You can also tow with a Double as long as it has the power, the smaller three cylinder Skis in my opinion as well as most mechanics are to expensive in maintenance.
The smaller the engines the more boost required to give it the same HP as the larger engines.
No different to a Car or Motor Bike.
The Yamaha 1800CC is the largest motor in any Ski at present, Kawasaki have a 1500CC and the Seadoo has a 1650CC these days in their High performance Skis and a smaller three cylinder in most of their older Skis.
I bought a Yamaha SHO as my local Beach Patrol used them and they would get an easy 2000 hours from them with no problems, they couldn't say that about the previous Skis they used which were Seadoo's, I also talked to my Local independent Jet Ski mechanic and he also said he had less problems with Yamaha than any other make.
This was advice given over four years ago and I haven't asked recently and so don't take that advice as useful for now as I am sure, no one would buy a certain brand if they broke down all the time.
Another thing that pushed me towards the 1800CC Yamaha was that in our Area, Yamaha guaranteed their 1800CC engine for 4000 hours as long as you used their Oils and Oil Filter.
Show me the same thing from any of the other Ski makers :)
I know I bought an old one but it had just had $1800 spent on it before I bought it and I also spoke to the Dealer that did the servicing on the Ski and they told me it was a great buy for the Price.
The only reason my Ski was so cheap was that the Kid that owned it was going over Seas Backpacking and needed to sell it quickly as he left things as young people do to the last minute :)
Sorry for the long post ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts