Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have already fat fingered a message - sorry about that.

I'm a newbie looking for a ski after having sold my 37' aft cabin MY. Wife wasn't that hot on boating, so we sold the boat, bought a waterfront vacation property and now I'm looking for a new vessel to get me out on the water again. I'm in my upper 50s.

I'll be on the upper Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. I'm actually on the Susquehanna River right before it enters the Bay. Some of my riding will be on the open bay and I am quite familiar with how conditions can get rough. I want to be out in those conditions when it isn't unsafe. Accordingly, I think I'm interested in getting one of the larger skis. I'm researching used Yamaha SUV1200s which are long and wider than most. I'm also looking at maybe a new leftover 2006 Honda F12X turbo. It's not as big, but probably in the ballpark.

So, my question is: Does this type of selection make sense for the kind of water I'll be on? Any other suggestions? I don't want to pay the price for a brand new one not knowing yet what I really want so prefer to go used first to establish my preferences and usage.

I've read lots of good advice and ask for your help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
welcome to the forum bob...

i wouldnt recommend the SUV its practically a boat, .....

the honda f12 is a good ski that gets great gas mileage...

you wanna consider the costs you might have buying a used ski,,not knowing where its been or who owned it could potentially be a HUGE problem...

new come with warranties and a guaranty they will last a certain amount of time...

however if your like me and love to work on motors/boats etc.. than you should definitly go used and get to know the ski inseide and out.....

i would definitly go with a 3-seater,,4-stroke,,,, as the laws on emmissions are tightening down you dont wana have to worry... also the bigger skis can offer you things like cruise control, no wake mode, security alarms, giant coolers and storage.....

im partial to yamaha but maybe cuz i own 3...:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
REMY,

Thanks. Good input. That is why I'm leaning towards a new 06 Honda.

I have heard that the 4 strokes are suffering from inability to get 93 octane fuel on the water. The only source I'd have of high octane fuel would be hauling out and driving it to a gas station. If I take long runs away from home base, that might not be possible. One dealer is recommending a 2 stroke because of this situation.

Any knowledge of 4 stroke problems and octane rating?

What model Yamaha would you suggest based on my described usage?

Thanks again. I really feel like a newbie in spite of my years on the water.

·
Registered
209 Posts
haha well the guy is trying to sell you a 2 stroke cuz he needs them out of his showroom..

the turbo honda only requires 91 octane, which is plus where im at...

most naturally aspirated or non turbo/supercharged skis only require 87....

so if you could get one thats not turbo or SC then you can run it all day on the water.....

personally i would get the new yamaha SHO.... it only requires 87 octane and its got a SC/IC high output 1800cc 4-stroke motor,biggest of them all...and its not almost topped out like the new sea-doo rxt-X

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you again REMY. Your comment about getting the 2 stoke off the floor makes sense. Also very good point on the non-turbo able to operate on lower octane. I'll take a look at the Yamaha SHO, although I think the price is going to scare me away.

I REALLY do appreciate your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RFH:

If you want a great PWC for all water conditions, I'd look at the Yamaha FX Cruiser. It's a four-stroke, uses regular octane gas, and its really comfortable to ride. Also comes with the Cruiser seat for passengers. I've done a lot of rides from Long Beach, California to Catalina Island (26 miles of open ocean) and the FX Cruiser has been flawless. It's also pretty affordable new and used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RAG,

Thanks a lot. Great input and I will add them to my list to check out. I'm currently narrowing my choice to the Honda F-12X and Yamaha GP 1300R, FX SHO and now the FX Cruiser. It seems that Honda and Yamaha get the strongest comments on quality, ride and durability. I was going to look at a great deal on a lightly used Sea-doo RXT when I read about the supercharger problems.

This forum is excellent and a big help making a tough decision based on limited knowledgee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RFH:

Yamaha is a client. With that said, the GP1300R is an excellent boat, but it is a high-performance two-seater. Not sure if the wife will like it, especially in chop. Not as stable as the bigger three-seaters. Have fun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
RFH said:
RAG,

Thanks a lot. Great input and I will add them to my list to check out. I'm currently narrowing my choice to the Honda F-12X and Yamaha GP 1300R, FX SHO and now the FX Cruiser. It seems that Honda and Yamaha get the strongest comments on quality, ride and durability. I was going to look at a great deal on a lightly used Sea-doo RXT when I read about the supercharger problems.

This forum is excellent and a big help making a tough decision based on limited knowledgee.

the supercharger "problems" you've heard of are only due to sea-doo using ceramic clutch washers in the SC...when upgraded to steel washers they are much more reliable..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks RAG and REMY!

The Yamaha GP1300R comes off the list. You are right, I definitely want a 3 seater and don't envision needing that much performance.

REMY, is replacing those clutch washers a big deal? Sounds like an engine pull and tearing a major part of it apart. I can handle a lot of my own maintenance, but not sure I want to get that involved. What would you estimate for a cost to have a shop do it?

Again, thanks again for all the great input. You are really helping me figure out where to focus. You're also making me want to spend more money on a more suitable machine. Not so many thanks for that :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
well we know cheap and boating dont go together;)

yes its a huge deal for the sea-doo 4-tec's, the ceramic washers would break apart, get ingested by the SC then wind up in the motor causing all sorts of bad problems..... its not a hard job especially if you've got tools and arent afraid to get a little dirty,, the new sea-doo X models come stock with steel washers.

i honestly wouldnt know what a shop would charge for clutch washer replacment, i do all my own work to everything i own, skis, cars, and bikes... but im gonna take a guess and say............an arm and a leg...

well i can tell you this,,,,
i know you want a 4-stroke
3-seater
lots of storage
good mpg
uses low octane fuel
dont need a musclecraft

theres no to many options once narrowed down, it just depends on what brand you want..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
REMY,

LOL! Your boating and not cheap reference had me laughing. Sad, but no truer statement has ever been spoken.

Thanks for all the input on that clutch washer. As much as I like the ski and the awesome deals on two that I've seen, I think I'll take a pass. Don't need those kinds of problems.

You have listnened and your assessment of what I'm looking for is right on. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I think I will check out the Yamaha FX Cruiser. Sounds most like what I'm looking for. I've got my old boating buddy looking at a new GTX. He'll be glad when I forward him your input.

You guys are awesome. Your feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
REMY,

Sorry to bother you, but a seller with an 05 RXT got back to me and said he had those washers replaced under warranty. I'm asking for proof. Based on what you know about what I'm looking for, do you think the RXT would be a decent ski for me? I'm also working on an FX Cruiser for the same price. Both skis have less than 50 hours. From what I've read, the Yamaha might be better in bigger sea conditions.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
RFH said:
REMY,

Sorry to bother you, but a seller with an 05 RXT got back to me and said he had those washers replaced under warranty. I'm asking for proof. Based on what you know about what I'm looking for, do you think the RXT would be a decent ski for me? I'm also working on an FX Cruiser for the same price. Both skis have less than 50 hours. From what I've read, the Yamaha might be better in bigger sea conditions.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.
yes alot have been replaced under warranty,, ask for the dealer paperwork..

the rxt would be a great ski for you,, it has alot more power than the fx cruiser, but with the same ammenities, however the rxt requires premium fuel...

they're both big heavy skis which perform well in the chop,,, its all in who/how its ridden which determines how it will really handle at sea...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again REMY! I'm going to see the Yamaha on Saturday morning. The Sea-Doo has to be retrieved from their summer place.

I've gotten some info on the fuel usage and with how I plan to use it, I might be able to get by without a fill up over a Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to haul it out each weekend and can take it to a gas station for fill-ups. It certainly would be more convenient to be able to fill up at the local marina though.

I'll let you know how I make out with the Yamaha.

·
Registered
209 Posts
RFH said:
Thanks again REMY! I'm going to see the Yamaha on Saturday morning. The Sea-Doo has to be retrieved from their summer place.

I've gotten some info on the fuel usage and with how I plan to use it, I might be able to get by without a fill up over a Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to haul it out each weekend and can take it to a gas station for fill-ups. It certainly would be more convenient to be able to fill up at the local marina though.

I'll let you know how I make out with the Yamaha.

GOOD DEAL! turn that puppy on and just lean against it and watch /listen like a hawk,,,look for any oil in the hull,,,or if main parts on the motor are different color that might be a sign that somethings been replaced.... good luck:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts