Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings again!

One more Wave Raider question and I'll go sit quietly.

I have a friend who has a '94 Wave Raider. Will run and play hard all day without any indications of overheating. If he shuts it down for more than 5 minutes and tries to restart while its still warm, the Overheat indicator goes off and the limiter kicks in.

The previous owner suggested keeping a bag of ice in the cooler. If the overheat tripped, just plop the bag of ice on the sensor. Once the sensor resets, it starts and runs fine. While that works in about 15 minutes, its annoying and a bit of an inconvenience.

Anyone else run into this? Sound like a weak sensor? Water jacket not draining properly?

Thanks in advance and again for any and all help / suggestions. Definitely appreciated!

Greg

·
Registered
323 Posts
When the engine stops it heat soaks for a while which means it gets hotter before it gets cooler. But i would say its running hotter than normal anyway. He should take the rear exhaust of and clean out all the little tubes in it as well as splitting it and cleaning the water jacket thoroughly. Its a 760 right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just confirmed that my buddy's waveraider is a 700 and not the 760. We checked out the exploded views of both the 700 and 760. It looks like the area that you are suggesting we clean is at the back end of the Exhaust Chamber where the exhaust attaches to the rubber tube exits the engine box.

Thanks again for your help - it is really appreciated!!

Greg

·
Registered
323 Posts
yeah, exhaust on 760 and the 700 are the same. hust pull the rear stinger off and split it. there will be a big round rubber gasket in the bottom that will probably need to be replaced and you will see a few little holes in the end. Make sure they are all clear. Make sure all the tubes and whatever in there are clear. correct, it is the bit that connects to the rubber hose that goes to the water box. If it has been used in salt water, this would almost def be the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts