Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
im building a js650 kitski. for those of you who arent familiar with my terminology. im taking and original js model jetski (440) and replacing the engine with a 650 out of a 1991 sitdown kawasaki jetski. if any of you will notice my other forum i did run into a slight hangup. im trying to mate a 440 cdi box with the 650 need to know what colors match with the others and cant find any electrical diagrams.... thanks for any help if u have it. i will have pictures of the new paint going on the ski as soon as it makes it on there. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have 5 wires to splice. there are the 2 yellow and 1 black. but theres a black/red and a black/grey also.

and the 440 cdi has 5 wires going in. all solid colors. 2 green, 1 black, 1 grey, 1 red.

that picture doesnt help me too much. i think i need original wiring diagrams cuz i cant see where the wires are going or where theyre coming from....

heres the pics of the engine and cdi box if that helps explain what im talking about

·
Registered
24 Posts
in the months ive been working on my ski ive learned a lot about them. ur looking at a bad ignition box or magneto. theres really no way to test the ignition box other than putting it on a known good magneto. however if u buy a manual for your jetski. they have procedures in it to test ur main coil and trigger coil. if its a 650 they are somehow built in together but they have a procedure for that too. (this is how i learned that i cant mate my 440 box with my 650; i bought a bad attitude cdi box.)

also its bad for the cdi boxes to crank the engine over without having the wires grounded. always have a spark checker on the sparkplug wires when cranking the engine with the spark plugs out or plug wires off

·
Registered
24 Posts
oh u failed to specify which kind of ski. i cannot say i am very familiar with those skis. but if it is a cdi u should follow what i just said. however. nothing short of a mechanic can help better than a manual for your ski. i found a used one on ebay for my ski for about 20bux. i reccomend you do that. if u cant afford 20bux for a manual than u probably cant afford your ski

·
Registered
24 Posts
well y dont u squirt some tcw3 oil in the cylinders through the sparkplug holes and then put the spark plugs back in and put the wires on. then try and run it. if it runs for a noticably longer amount of time then what it has been for you then ur looking at a top end rebuild. otherwise u need a manual

1 - 6 of 6 Posts