Personal Water Craft Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am going to finish restoring my 93 WaveBlaster and 89 WaveJammer this winter. I'm going to post the progress on a thread I already started a couple weeks ago. If you want to check out the progress the thread is titled "1993 WaveBlaster 701 / 1989 WaveJammer 500 project"
Where is that thread located on the forum?

·
Registered
100 Posts
kawasaki sts 750

i just bought an sts 750 for 420 dollars. starts but wont idle. noticed the choke system is stuck on full open. prolly why it wont idle.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Finally did some work on the water toys!

Thats a nice ski for a great price!:thumbsup:

Here's a couple short videos after I got my 93 Blaster and 89 Jammer running! I replaced the plugs and fuel lines,filters and rebuilt the carb on the JammerThe 500 really screams after I rebuilt the carb. They are both running perfect now! I also replaced the intake grates and ride plates on both, I am curious to see how they handle.
:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a winter project in the works right now...
A 1991 580 sp ( i know nothing crazy)
but i got it all most free i put a new battery in it and she fired up..
But first i cleaned everything out oil,fuel lubed up motor (top end)..
Fired up on the hose just fine but once at lake it wouldnt fire.
Brought it back to shop and found the starter had bad ground.
Replaced it and got starter rebuilt for $50 bucks and she turns over every time now!
Any way my wife and i took it 7 hours north.
It fired up with fresh plugs in it , a lil smokey at first then she cleared rite up and ran great!!
I shut it off after a bit and i wouldnt start again.
Fresh plugs and same thing a lil smokey then fine.
next time i shut it off no go again..
Thought it was carb so i rebiult it ....
but i noticed crank case full of oil...
Took it to a shop they said crank seals...
How to a test the crankcase pressure?
i have motor out and in pieces rite now as i am looking at another motor or so i think i shud.

I found a yellow 580 needs top end for 100 bucks
I have a set of good pistons and rings for it!!

you think its worth it?

also thought about beefing it up a bit as i will want to use it but i got it manly for my wife and kids
Any way a can beef it up a bit??

·
Registered
2 Posts
kawasaki 900 exhaust manifold

Trying to take engine out to reseal driveshaft area.
Removed 2 parts of manifold easy.
BUT, the manifolf atached to the engine itself, will not move. I have all the nuts removed, and tapped lightly with a block of wood and hammer. But no movement.
Does anyone have a suggestion ???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just picked up a JS440 hull with a 550 engine in it. Engine looked brand new, as if it had never really been run since install. It would start, run really bad and then when given RPM would not increase just sort of bog. Compression seemed fine.

Previous owner was stumped as I am sure whoever installed the new motor was. I figured a stumped owner is ready to make a deal. Offered $400 and took it home!

Turns out, the problem was, that whoever installed the 550 engine did not realize that this carb needs the RPM limiter, and they installed it in a 440 hull which did not have one! Simple fix, add restrictor to return line!

Spent the last week stripping all of the old graphics and filling and sanding the hull. Will paint it 80's colors and re-install the motor, hopefully have a great running ski for my friends to ride.

If you can't find a riding buddy, buy another ski right!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased two '01 Kawasaki 900 sts jet skis. They're in pretty good shape and I got an excellent deal on them. Both could probably use tune ups and they both need some ding repairs. Nothing major mechanically or body/hull. Except (I guess I shouldn't have said that they don't need anything major) one of them needs the starter replaced. Which apparently is a fairly major project. The local shop here said that it would take one of his good mechanics 3-5 hours. Possibly slightly enflated but after having the work involved summarized for me, it sounds accurate. I guess the starter is basically under EVERYTHING - engine, exhaust, etc. I haven't ever worked on jet skis - I had a couple and a boat years ago but didn't do much maintenance. Most people I think would look at this as a major pain(and bummer due to the cost) and have a shop do it. But I honestly look at it as a good thing. It will give me the opportunity to really get to know these machines and how to work on them. I will be using them for work in some very isolated locations and I won't have the luxury of jet ski mechanics. So the starter has arrived and (after a whole lot of difficulty) I have a service manual that should work for this model. Anyway, I'm about to jump into it and was hoping that some of you guys might have some advice, pointers, opinions, etc. Obviously, I would love any info on how to do this but I'm also curious if there's other things that I should do and/or check while I have it torn apart. Thanks in advance and I will be looking out for any replies. I have already learned some stuff from cruising this forum. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my new project ski. I inherited from my cousin who passed away. I know very little about it though. Here are some pictures . I know it's a kawasaki stand up and that's it and that it has a ton of aftermarket parts on it. I would like to know the exact size of the engine. And which rebuild kit I should be looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. And also I remember him telling me the motor was not original and out of a 2000 or 2001 or maybe rebuilt then I can't remember exactly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jet Boat

I built a 13' wooden runabout and cut up my perfectly good kawasaki 750 which I installed in it. Maiden voyage looked promising, but had a fuel issue.Looks like this thing will scoot. Boat weighed only 120 pounds less the engine and jet, but I want to work kinks out before I put the top on it which will increase weight about 40 pounds. I used exhaust parts from two other skis to get exhaust directed where I wanted it. Fabricated a reverse bucket and shifter which seems to work fine. Boat named "Le Belle de Bois". Yup, she's Cajun too!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
How's about posting a couple of pictures of this creation? I'm sure we would all like to see it.

Zardoz

·
Registered
2 Posts
How's about posting a couple of pictures of this creation? I'm sure we would all like to see it.

Zardoz
Took me a minute to figure this out. Sorry. I have a wiring question. Note tach on dash did not come from my Kawasaki750. Can anyone let me know if this can be wired in. It comes off a 900. Thanks
IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

41 - 54 of 54 Posts