Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Sea Doo GTX without the motor. I was thinking of putting a outboard motor on it to fish. Can a PWC have a propeller or not? I was thinking if so than to cut the seat down so I'd sit in the haul way low. I think then it is concidered a boat. Laws in CA are stupid about what you can and cant do. It would mostly be on Lake Oroville. Thanks for any help with my crazy ideas.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Heres my idea. I would sit in the haul and the outboard would be behind me. Let me know what you think. How about balance with me so far back?
:confused:

Dude first of all it is called a hull not haul. Personally I think you are a couple cards short of a full deck. Having said that I assume you mean a small hand controlled outboard somehow mounted on the stern. Then a gas line to it will be needed. I think after doing all this it will probably sink due to too much weight in the rear of the craft. But video it might win at AFV......:dunno: Although you said you are from Cali, maybe with all the rain, you could keep it to get out of your house soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I build hot rods not little boats. The small race boats are the same size and the driver is in the same position. I can use the old controls for my motor and it already has a gas tank on it. I'm not going to look for a jet ski motor and all the missing parts for it to make it stock. I cant have a prop if its a PWC. Any ideas?

·
Registered
811 Posts
How are you going to mount the motor to the ski? Any tips for my car? How many horsepower is it? It is a 2003 Z06 Corvette.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your car can push over 500hp pretty stock, fine tune it up to around 650hp. What do you want to do to your vett? A body kit would look nice. The motor would be mounted to a rack in the back I would make, along with my rod holders and spot lights for night fishing.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Whats up? Hey when you mount your stern bracket make sure you know your waterline will be so you can use that as a baseline for your shaft length so that the prop is at an optimum height. The fact that is now propelled by a prop shouldn't matter as long as it is deep enough to avoid cavitation. You more than likely will have to prop it to the right pitch. Sitting in the hull will help lower the center of gravity. However, you may now be classified as a boat. But a small one with minimal requirements.

OK, my Z06 is currently about 450 hp up from 405 hp. So far improvemnets are a Blackwing cold air intake and a performance tune by East Coast Supercharging. Currently has the light weight titanium stock exhuast, looking at American Racing long tube headers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to mount it to a rear rack. My motor has a adjustment for pitch. Its only a short shaft 3hp motor I also have a 10hp long shaft sail boat motor. I dont need alot of power, just enough to get up river. The only reason I would sit in the hull is if I cant have a prop on a PWC. Sitting in it would make it a boat. I thought your car came with stock stickers saying "500HP" even though it wasnt. Funny how advertising is.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I Would use the ten HP motor be cause of the longer shaft. The three HP is more for a inflatable raft.

I have the C5 Z06 which has the LS6 347C.I. built until 2004. It was always advertised at 405 HP stock. The C6 Z06 that is 505 HP stock has the LS7 427 C.I. still produced. But then again I thought you would know that since you build hot rods:confused:.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lost

you better read up on USCG rules and regs for outboards
because PWC's are exempt
I looked all night for info, but I cant find anything refering to outboards on PWCs. I know they banned them for a while because of the prop cutting up swimmers. Can anyone find ANYTHING about it? I am lost, dont know if I can put the motor on or not. If I cant Ill make it into a boat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's been done

i have a pwc called a funboat that can handle up to 35 hp motor - it looks justlike a jetski - you sit on a seat - hooks up to standard steering and throttle controls - if you can build on cars you can easily handle a project like your talking about -

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
jet prop

they make a jet prop that mounts to a johnson motor that eleminates prop hazards - needs nothing special - bolts right up

·
Registered
27 Posts
The prop danger is worthy of consideration. If its a small ski hull than it will certainly tip easy with only 3hp if the current gets a hold of you.
Your best bet would be a $200 jon boat and bolt on your outboard.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Dude I tried to tell you before that this a wast of time and possibly dangerous. Thats why people don't go over Niagra Falls in barrels anymore. Because it just plain stupid. For some one whos is supposed to be a motorhead and didn't even know the difference between a LS6 Z 06 motor and a LS7 Z 06 motor in a Corvette isn't a very knowledgeable hot rod mechanic :laugh: But if you do try it make sure someone is filming it for AFV :appl::confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts