Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi my name is Bob, I don't have the RXTX, but I do have a 2006 RXT with a Riva Stage 3 kit installed which gave me 300 HP and a top end between 78-80 MPH, I also own the 2009 RXT is which is 255 HP runs between 68-70 MPH. After riding the three seaters I am sold on them for ride and stability. You won't regret getting RXT-X it is the fastest three seater on the market. I have only been beaten by Sea Doos and thats rare. Seadoos motors are built in Austria and shipped here to Canada and assembled. I know alot of people that changed brands after riding the RXT. So you are making the best decision you can by buying Sea Doo. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm also considering a Yamaha...the salesman there talked about the Sea Doo wear ring like it was the worst idea ever and fails quickly. Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey it is Bob from Delaware, just got back from three days of jet skiing. In answer to your question about sea doo wear rings, all manufacters use wear rings, sea doo uses a wearable one in case of ingesting debris, it is designined to take the impact so youe impeller doesn't take the impact thereby causing much more damage. You can always switch to a stainless one, but you will not have the sacrificial lamb. As for me personally I have never had a wear ring problem. When I asked my dealers top mech. he chuckled he also explained this situation to me. My 300 HP Rxt never chewed one up either. Good luck see ya on a Sea Doo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thinking about buying one...looking for a real-world review. Thanks!
I haven't picked mine up yet, but all of the reviews I have read have been pretty good. Depending on your needs, plan for some options (and associated costs):

Boarding ladder
Depth Sounder
Cruise Control

If you regularly operate in and out of a no wake zone, as far as I can tell there are only 2 ways to keep the speed in the no wake range: alternately select forward and then neutral or install cruise control. CC allows you to set a maximum speed while underway and also allows you to specify a speed while at idle. The engine speed at idle stays the same but I assume the bucket is positioned differently to limit rearward thrust (and forward motion). I used to do this manually on my 2004 SC by placing the "transmission" lever somewhere between forward and neutral.

I need a boarding ladder for kids.

The depth sounder is great for people operating on lakes and in shallow water (approaching a sandy beach). I had one on my last Sea Doo and believe it saved me from ingesting sand/rocks on a regular basis. I didn't need an impeller or wear ring in 120 hours.

I won't be riding for at least a week, but I'll post my impressions once I do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one, and i can say that it is the best ride i have ever had on any PWC. The new hull lets you float over the water and on turn it gives you more grip then you will ever need. The new i controll break system works great and is a necessary safety feature to have when you are pushing 260hp. Also, its the coolest looking PWC on the water.

if you have any other questions i'll be glad to answer them

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one, and i can say that it is the best ride i have ever had on any PWC. The new hull lets you float over the water and on turn it gives you more grip then you will ever need. The new i controll break system works great and is a necessary safety feature to have when you are pushing 260hp. Also, its the coolest looking PWC on the water.

King,

I've read a few negatives on the forums, hoping you can comment:

1. Stern access ports leak water into the hull;

2. The S3 hull is very tippy at slow speeds with passengers;

3. DESS post requires allot of fussing with to ensure the key is on straight or the ECU throws a code and the Sea Doo won't start.

I pick my 2010 model up this weekend but don't expect to be able to get on the water due to cold weather and rain. I'm curious to know how fast the idle mode is and if it is slow enough for "no wake" zones. If not, the optional (but expensive) cruise control might need to be added :(

grover :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
King,

3. DESS post requires allot of fussing with to ensure the key is on straight or the ECU throws a code and the Sea Doo won't start.

I pick my 2010 model up this weekend but don't expect to be able to get on the water due to cold weather and rain. I'm curious to know how fast the idle mode is and if it is slow enough for "no wake" zones. If not, the optional (but expensive) cruise control might need to be added :(

In regards to the stern access ports leaking i have not had any problems and i am running about 8 hours in.

Also i haven't noticed the hull to be more tippy than any of the previous sea-doo's i've owned. I feel that problem is occurring because of passenger inexperience. I feel this because on memorial weekend I took a bunch of different groups of people out on the water. Most of these ride were 3 adult size people and never did i feel unstable. Until i took this one group of people out and their balance was way off and i had to compensate and keep us upright. It also could have been the fact that we were pushing 520lb and with that much weight you will be tippy on most pwc.

In conclusion, the RXT-x is has a similar stability as any other sea-doo and if it is more tippy i would say that it is a very minuscule difference.

Ps. i have been driving PWC's all my life so I am not sure how much rider experience takes into account

Finally, the key system is more fussy than the older ones. You must first note that unlike older models, you need to press the start button BEFORE putting in the key. Next, you stick in the key. If you hear one beeb, you messed up and need to repeat the process. if you hear two beeps you are ready to go.
After messing around with the startup for a while I found out what i was doing wrong and most likely what everyone has been doing wrong. What is happening is that the angle of where the port that you stick the key in is at a slightly higher angle and also slightly hidden under the handlebar. This means that when i was putting in the key it was on only half way before i eventually pushed it in completely. The system reads the key quickly so it would read the key as only half way in so it would make me repeat the process. The trick is to make sure the key is perfectly lined up with the port, and then push it in a little harder then you would normally have too.

I have heard that some key are defective, which i am going to guess mine is, and you can just bring it to the dealer and they will replace it free of charge. I now can start my rxt first try every time so on my 10 hour maintenance i'll exchange my key.

Hope this info was helpful
if you have any more questions i'll see if i can answer them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
King,

Thanks for your post. I pick my 2010 X up this afternoon, but I'm not sure if I will get onto the lake. The two young kids, cool weather and the threat of rain are all conspiring to keep me off the water, but we'll see what develops.

I'm encouraged by your comments about stability and the DESS key. I'll go over the key procedure with the dealer when I pick it up. I couldn't imagine that See Doo would make a new hull (for a 3 seater) that was so unstable that it rolled at the slightest weight shift. Most 3 seaters are "family" type machines even if they have performance horsepower.

I'm also glad to hear that you don't have leaking ports. That would follow my dealer's experience. Hopefully I won't have a problem either. Do you try to avoid stepping on them when you are at the stern, or it doesn't really matter?

grover

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I've been out on my new RXT X. Overall I'm pretty impressed with it but there are a few things that could have been done better. First the good: The new hull provides a much better ride in light chop and the handling is much sharper than my 2004 GTX SC was. So much so that when I tried a tight turn at speed, the g force produced reminded me a bit of a ride at the amusement park. The power is pretty smooth - it burbles and feels a bit lumpy at idle, but accelerates smoothly and has allot of power. In fact the power is pretty deceiving. For my first ride I was trying to take it pretty easy, but found myself at 50 mph with very little effort. The braking system is cool - although I'm not sure how much I will use it in normal driving.

There are a few things that need adjusting on my X and a few things I just plain don't like (but can live with):

1. DESS - The system requires you to press the start/stop button to wake up the electronics and then quickly attach the key to the DESS post. If you don't get it on correctly you will not hear the double beep and you have to remove it and start the process again. In addition, if you shut the engine off without taking the key off and then try to restart, you can't. You have to remove the key and start all over. I think this is a poor system and my biggest complaint. If you shut down for some reason and are still drifting and decide you are drifting too quickly towards something, restarting takes longer than it used to on my 4TEC. I'm sure this will prove to be a hassle when towing skiers as well. And the problem is made worse by the unit's neutral system (below);

2. Neutral - I'm hoping this is an adjustment on my unit, but neutral produces a bit of reverse thrust. This makes it difficult to drift in a straight line towards my EZ Dock (floating dock) lining up for the drive on procedure as when I place the unit in neutral, if I don't hold the steering wheel perfectly straight, the course changes and I have to approach again;

3. Steering - The steering is really precise, but my dealer has mine set up such that it runs about 15 degrees to starboard when the steering handle is held in the straight ahead position. Perhaps this is what is making it difficult to to drift in neutral. I'll be talking to the dealer about this next week.

4. Throttle - As some others have posted, I find the touring mode a bit lazy. I thought I'd like sport mode better but t is so razor sharp I wonder if it won't be difficult to maintain an even throttle position in the bumps. I'm assuming that touring will get you to the same top speed? If so, I might find myself using touring more of the time. Perhaps this is something I just need to get used to? In my opinion, this is a case of fly by wire altering your input in a way that you don't like and have no control over;

5. Cruise Control - If you operate in and out of a marina like I do, you may want to consider cruise control as it has a feature which allows you to set maximum forward speed at idle. Without this feature, the only way to control speed in a no wake zone is to switch between forward and neutral (on and off) to make "way" and then drift alternately. I'll be checking with the dealer to see if the cruise feature just automates this process or actally adjusts the bucket position to reduce forward "way". This cruise feature was on last year's iS and is optional this year on both the iS and X.

Overall this is a great machine, but for the money it should be perfect and the cruise option should have been included. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
King,

Hi I am a newby here
I have 2 rxt-xs I bought one for my wife and after she blew me away when I raced her with my 2008 RXPX I traded the 08 in for another 2010 RXTX. We love them. I also have seen posts about the rear covers leaking and after 15 hours both of mine are dry. They dont feel tippy to us at all alot funner and smother to ride than my 2008 and the 2006 RTX that we used to ride. The DESS kind of sucks but after a few starts its not a problem. They both idle at 4 mph same as my old ones and we keep them at a marina so we have a long no wake zone. we have meet the sherif patrol many times and they never say anything about the speed. Every one we let ride them can't belive how good they handle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I've been out on my new RXT X. Overall I'm pretty impressed with it but there are a few things that could have been done better. First the good: The new hull provides a much better ride in light chop and the handling is much sharper than my 2004 GTX SC was. So much so that when I tried a tight turn at speed, the g force produced reminded me a bit of a ride at the amusement park. The power is pretty smooth - it burbles and feels a bit lumpy at idle, but accelerates smoothly and has allot of power. In fact the power is pretty deceiving. For my first ride I was trying to take it pretty easy, but found myself at 50 mph with very little effort. The braking system is cool - although I'm not sure how much I will use it in normal driving.

There are a few things that need adjusting on my X and a few things I just plain don't like (but can live with):

1. DESS - The system requires you to press the start/stop button to wake up the electronics and then quickly attach the key to the DESS post. If you don't get it on correctly you will not hear the double beep and you have to remove it and start the process again. In addition, if you shut the engine off without taking the key off and then try to restart, you can't. You have to remove the key and start all over. I think this is a poor system and my biggest complaint. If you shut down for some reason and are still drifting and decide you are drifting too quickly towards something, restarting takes longer than it used to on my 4TEC. I'm sure this will prove to be a hassle when towing skiers as well. And the problem is made worse by the unit's neutral system (below);

2. Neutral - I'm hoping this is an adjustment on my unit, but neutral produces a bit of reverse thrust. This makes it difficult to drift in a straight line towards my EZ Dock (floating dock) lining up for the drive on procedure as when I place the unit in neutral, if I don't hold the steering wheel perfectly straight, the course changes and I have to approach again;

3. Steering - The steering is really precise, but my dealer has mine set up such that it runs about 15 degrees to starboard when the steering handle is held in the straight ahead position. Perhaps this is what is making it difficult to to drift in neutral. I'll be talking to the dealer about this next week.

4. Throttle - As some others have posted, I find the touring mode a bit lazy. I thought I'd like sport mode better but t is so razor sharp I wonder if it won't be difficult to maintain an even throttle position in the bumps. I'm assuming that touring will get you to the same top speed? If so, I might find myself using touring more of the time. Perhaps this is something I just need to get used to? In my opinion, this is a case of fly by wire altering your input in a way that you don't like and have no control over;

5. Cruise Control - If you operate in and out of a marina like I do, you may want to consider cruise control as it has a feature which allows you to set maximum forward speed at idle. Without this feature, the only way to control speed in a no wake zone is to switch between forward and neutral (on and off) to make "way" and then drift alternately. I'll be checking with the dealer to see if the cruise feature just automates this process or actally adjusts the bucket position to reduce forward "way". This cruise feature was on last year's iS and is optional this year on both the iS and X.

Overall this is a great machine, but for the money it should be perfect and the cruise option should have been included. :)
Both of mine stay pretty well in one spot in neutral once in awhile my wifes will drift backwards but she blurps the throttle and resets the neutral and then it stays. We don't have cruise and we keep them at a marina also but with the old skis and the new ones they both idle at 4 mph makes a little wake but we never have been stoped. what do you need cruise for? Hands off the throttle in the no wake zone and wide open the rest of the time.:laugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts

Isn't that brake a blast, full speed to the no wake zone and nail the brake, water spraying every where and then you get soaked. I used my brake on mine before my wife tryed hers, I told her to go full speed and :laugh::laugh:nail the brake so she could get the feel of it, so 67 mph to 0 in about 100 feet man was she pissed when that wall of water came over the nose. Everyone else that it was funny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hydfixer,

I'll have to check with my dealer on the neutral issue. Mine starts moving backward so "drifting" forward towards the floating dock in a straight line isn't possible. I'm sure this can be adjusted if your stays in one place at idle. As to the wake at idle, I think mine moves at more than 4 mph and creates more than an acceptable wake. I could shift into neutral and forward alternately, but when I shift into neutral, the stern doesn't follow the bow (alignment issue) and I have about a 5 minute idle to the dock so it is allot of shifting. I'll probably add cruise even though it is a waste of money and should have been included with the Sea Doo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts