Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just order some factory vinyl graphics to replace the originals, and wondering if there are any tricks to applying, as I highly doubt it ill come w/ instructions. If I recall from past hobbies, people usually soak them in water w/ dish soap so you can get correct placement. Any advice? thanks guys... dont ant to screw this up.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If they are OEM you peel off the backing and stick...........easy. If they are long, I'd tape them in place first at a few spots.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks... they are from yamaha, and long... i dont want air bubbles wrinkles etc...

side note: what does OEM stand for:

thanks... i always hear it, but not exactly sure the meaning

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically means that it is an original part and not aftermarket.

I tape the whole thing in place and then do one end at a time, starting in the middle, while the tape holds the other end in place with vinyl decals. I think you can still wet the surface with water with the OEM decals to position them and then squeegee it out to get rid of the bubbles, but don't quote me on that. If you can't wet them, I'd start in the middle and work towards the end laying the decal down as you go to keep the air out.

There should be instructions with the decals. If not I'd call Yamaha or a dealer and find out how they do it. The long ones are easy to screw up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice

just an update

Home Depot sells a kit for applying suh things to windows. It comes w/ a spray bottle of applicator solution and a squeegie among some other things i didnt need. Using this worked great. There were plenty of air bubbles, but luckily squeegied right out. If I did it dry it would have been a mess.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Glad to hear you got them on straight! I know those long ones can be a real pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts