Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a number of very inexpensive (less than $1000) pwc available in the classifieds. Does anyone have experience with buying these?

Would a 15 year old pwc be very unreliable? Are they like cars where you don't see many 1990 cars driving anymore because the cost of maintaining them is more than the cost of buying a newer vehicle?

Would good and similar compression on both cyclinders be a good indication that the pwc is in ok condition?

Are there a lot of hull problems? What would I look for assuming that I wouldn't be able to test ride it?

Is it possible to find a low price pwc and just have fun with it for a couple of years without having to spend lots on maintaince?

I know no one can guarantee any of these things, but I'm just looking for a general idea. If someone wanted a basic reliable car to drive around I'd suggest a 1995 or newer japanese car or a 2003 or newer american car. Does anyone have a similar suggestion for me?

Thanks guys.

Curt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as long as a compression test is good, I'll save most of the chances of spending big $$ from getting a lemon?

Aren't these two strokes? Isn't it simple and cheap to rebuild the top end and restore compression or is it a sign of other issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
jet drive

you will run into problems with the jet drive, bearings, seals, shafts, bolts breaking, you name it. I have spent more money so far on jet pump parts than the engine. I am a new jet ski owner. used of course 2001, and in my opinion the jet drive needs to be completely rebuilt. Check out Babbits PWC for prices on jet pump parts. good luck, welder

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought a 1997 seadoo xp and a 1994 fx-1 and a 1998 2 place aluminum trailer.

Both skis fire up and sound good (for a few seconds because no water in winter). Both owners say they have used them last summer.

Is there a way to check the pump parts or do I just wait until they are in the water and see how they go?

·
Registered
13 Posts
rebuild pump

All I can say is I bought a 2001 Yamaha and had to rebuild the pump. The engine also was partially disassembled. If they are both still running I would probably just let it go till they break. I really didn't have a choice. Although I would imagine there is a lot of wear and tear. It depends if they have rebuilt the pumps in the past. I would also repack the wheel bearing on the trailer. If you know how and don't want them to break down in the summer you might want to tear into the and replace all the seals and bearings. Welder

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'll repack the bearings for sure. It has a spare on the trailer which is nice too. I never travel without a spare for the trailer.

I can't wait to get started in a couple of months.

I just bought tickets to go to a nice inclusive resort in the dominican republic for next week. I'm thinking they will have skis to rent over there in the ocean.

Have you purchased a wet or dry suit yet? I'm wondering how warm it has to be to go out on the skis with or without a suit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts