Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see primer kits for sale for my 97 1100 and assume that fuel priming might be an issue. I installed a pump bulb in the fuel line. I wonder if the positive pressure that occurs in jet ski fuel systems (due to one way venting of the tank) might be an issue for the bulb. I dont see warnings on the pump bulb against positive pressure but wonder if anyone else has installed one or has an opinion on this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are other guys on this forum that have a lot more primer knowledge than me, but here's some thoughts. Primer kits allow you to pump fuel directly into the carb throats. Your description of a primer bulb in the fuel supply line would be unusual. Your bulb would only push fuel into the "float bowl" (or diaphragm chamber) and on thru the pump, with the excess going back to the tank via the return line. I doubt this would help much. Gravity sends fuel into the carb this same way and doesn't need the bulb unless you think the whole system is dry and want to speed up the flow. The positive pressure in the system would not affect your bulb. My skis are older, so I'm not sure about your '97... but I think you might have an accelerator pump on one or more of your carbs. This would eliminate the need for a primer since you can just flick the throttle a few times to prime it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts