Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are pwc's high maintenance? been thinking of buying a used one not sure what one yet. been looking at a 95 sea doo sxt and a 90 yamaha no idea what model it is. from what little i see on parts is pretty high. not looking for something real fast. been thinking of using one for fishing more than any thing. also im pushing 300 lbs. i to fat for one ? if i fell off of one not sure how hard it would be for my old 63 yr. old butt to get back in one. my knees are shot. any help is appreciated pro or con. thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
are pwc's high maintenance? been thinking of buying a used one not sure what one yet. been looking at a 95 sea doo sxt and a 90 yamaha no idea what model it is. from what little i see on parts is pretty high. not looking for something real fast. been thinking of using one for fishing more than any thing. also im pushing 300 lbs. i to fat for one ? if i fell off of one not sure how hard it would be for my old 63 yr. old butt to get back in one. my knees are shot. any help is appreciated pro or con. thanks
I think like any other gas run machine, maintenance/repairs are going to generally be directly related to the age of the machine. There may be exceptions (really well maintained, low hours, rebuilt engines, etc.), but if you want to avoid headaches look for a newer ski. If you have ever owned a boat, then you know that there is ongoing maintenance if you want to stay on top of problems, and even then something is eventually going to snap, come loose, or break. I'm a new PWC owner myself, but I talked to 3 different repair shops before buying, and all the guys I talked to told me the Sea Doos were the highest maintenance skis. Maintenance and post-ride care is also going to increase if you are going to run the ski in salt water versus fresh. I've only run mine in lakes so far, and maintenance has been a piece of cake, and I've done all my own so far to include winterization, and an oil change. I got a friend who is still running a couple of 15 year old skis, but he tells me the reason he has 2 identical skis is so he can keep at least 1 running. I can also tell you the the newer (5-7 year old) skis are much more stable and easier to ride than the 15-20 year old models you are looking at.

As for getting on and off, I'm 52 and in pretty good shape. Getting on is not a big problem for me, but definitely much easier with skis that have a reboarding step. I think you can count on falling off sometime, but the bigger newer skis are very stable, even for your weight. I think my Yamaha FX HO is rated for up to 540 pounds. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your reply i have owned more than a few boats. so i kind of know some about them i do all my work because i cant afford to pay some one else to do it. social security don't pay much lol. it will be fresh water im in arkansas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im pushing 250 but feel at home on a three person. Best part is when boarding from the water they wont tip or fall over any thing smaller or standup would be a nightmare. Also, I have a few vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc) My jetski is on the lower side of maintenance. (but only used hard a few months though). I personally think Saltwater vs Freshwater is the big maintenance decider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts