Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many hours are you guys averaging to a tank?
or how many gallons to the hour?

I'm told these things don't get great enconomy, but how bad can it be?
My FX140 has the same motor my FZ1 has (and the R1), and I usually get 35 mpg when riding really hard. Lets say to be conservative, it'd get the equivilant of 30mpg. 60mph @ 30 mpg = 2 gallons per hour. Tank hold 18 gallons, so 9 hrs of riding.

I'm banking on getting at least 8 hr of riding our of a full tank. Is that a pretty safe bet? or are these thing worse fuel hogs than that?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I guess it primarily depends on your riding style. On my FX HO I burn around 12 gallons in 4 hours of riding when I'm by myself for an average of about 3 gal/hr, so for me I could go around 6 hours on a tank by myself. If I'm riding with someone, I'd say I get better mileage, since I tend to make more/longer stops, and ride slower, so I'm guessing I could maybe get 7 hours plus when I'm riding with family or friends. Your FX will get better mileage, so 8 hours is possible as long as your not going crazy.

The estimates I've seen for the FX HO give around 125 miles per tank for average cruising. The FX will be even better, but I'd guess that getting 9 hours of riding per tank might be pushing it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the riding will be a mix of people taking turns. I plan on taking it to family trips to the beach house, so some high schoolers and older folks will be riding it. I'm the only dare devil in the group so I'm really the only one who will ride it at its limits. I'm sure at some point I'll end up pulling a tuber or something as well.
As I've been searching around (fuel economy numbers are really hard to come by) I realized after reading a post on another forum, I'm not taking into account the extra work the motor is under with all the drag of the water. That being said I'd be happy with 5 or 6 hours of continual riding, which for us would take all day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts