Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone... EXTREMELY new PWC owner here.

I bought a pristine 93 VXR Pro the other day and I couldn't get it started before I took it on the day of the official pickup... It started the first time I went to look at it, but not the second time. Reason that I STILL bought it, was because I witnessed it start and purr like a kitten the day before, so naturally I was just blaming my inexperience in starting a water craft and just figured I had the crank/choke/throttle sequence all backards or something! LOL

The first time... the man that owned it started it for me and it ran fine. The second time... The man wasn't home, only the wife. So I tried to start it myself... He made it look so easy... Hook up water, pull choke, crank, sputter, push in choke, crank... BRAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!

I think I screwed up though... I turned the water on and left it running for about 3-4 minutes before cranking it.... Now reading some forums, I have realized I may have pushed water into the engine!!!! Shit!

Sure enough, I pulled the plugs and they were wet and musty smelling. There was no "standing" water on the piston heads... but the plugs were definately wet! I don't have any time tonight to go any further... but I do have time tomorrow...

What should I do?? What steps should I take to get it running again and to ensure I didn't do any damage!!!! Oh man that would suck if I screwed up my new toy!!!

Thanks in advance for the help people!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take the plugs out. Have a freshly charged battery. Crank it and you will see a shitload of water shooting in the air. Keep doing this until all tha water is out. Get new plugs and try to fire it up. You can run these things for 60 secs without hooking water and it won't hurt it. the purpose of the water is to cool the engine. Nothing else. so...if the engine is sitting cool and you start it it will take 60 secs for it to get hot enough to overheat. 60 secs is a long time...start counting and you will see what I mean.

It may not fire first time. you may have to dry the plugs a couple of times. Once it starts rev it a few timmes real good Waaang....waang. then pour oil directly in the spark plug holes. Don't put the plugs back in yet and turn the engin over a few times. then fire it up with the plugs in and go ride the shit out of it to blow any water that's in the case out.

Mildly overoil the machin for the next two tanks..your done.:appl:

This condition is called Hydrolocking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts