Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a noob to jet skis and to this forum. I recently bought two 2008 STX 15Fs with just over 100 hours on them. One of them quit running all together, and I diagnosed the fuel pump to be out (started temporarily with starter fluid but would not continue running). Instead of buying the Kawasaki fuel assembly for $700, I bought an aftermarket pump and soldered it in. All was good, it ran great and I put it up after the weekend for a few weeks. When we came back to ride it, it would not start again unless I used starter fluid. It would not continue running however, exactly as before. I replaced the pump as before with aftermarket pump only, and it ran perfectly for the weekend. Again I put it away and upon return it is acting exactly the same. Not starting except with starter fluid.

So two aftermarket pumps that fixed the problem but shot after a VERY short period. I am inclined to buy the OEM fuel assembly, but I don't want to spend $700 on it if there is another issue causing the failure.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Waits at the repair shop are horrendous right now, and I am mechanically inclined and can do some work myself. I do not have a diagnostic computer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

James

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wiring or relay ? Do you still have the original and the first failed pump ? Will they run connected to a battery ? By the way ... part of the OEM pump assembly is a pressure regulator. I think it is on the return side of the pump that holds pressure to about 42 PSI. The factory manual calls for that pressure I think. I assume if you start it using fluid it only runs for a second or two then stops.
There is I think also ... a safety switch that kills the fuel pump in case of the ski being upside down. Unlikely .... but worth checking..
Good luck. Post back what you find. Always want to hear what finally resolved the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring or relay ? Do you still have the original and the first failed pump ? Will they run connected to a battery ? By the way ... part of the OEM pump assembly is a pressure regulator. I think it is on the return side of the pump that holds pressure to about 42 PSI. The factory manual calls for that pressure I think. I assume if you start it using fluid it only runs for a second or two then stops.
There is I think also ... a safety switch that kills the fuel pump in case of the ski being upside down. Unlikely .... but worth checking..
Good luck. Post back what you find. Always want to hear what finally resolved the problem.
Thanks for the reply.

That is correct. It only runs until starting fluid is consumed. And no, the original pump did not spin when connected to 12V. The 1st replacement did. I have not checked the second, but I can hear it I think. I did not know about the fuel pressure regulator. I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on a new fuel assembly. Expensive, but....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts