Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got my 93 Yamaha VXR Pro up and running today... Found out that the "needle and seat" were all gummed up. Cleaned it all up and checked the little rubber cone and all was good. Put her back together and bang!! Cranked right up. Sorta.

BUT... it runs VERY rough at idle and low speeds and I'm guessing that is almost DEFINATELY because I messed with the two fuel needles on either side of the carb. The mid-range and high rpm performance is FLAWLESS. Although, I'm sure it's not running optimally at high RPM's either.. but it could have fooled me! I'm guessing it's running rich, due to the fact that it sucks at idle and low but screams at high speeds... and the fact that I burned almost a 1/4 tank of gas in about an hour...?

Is this a job I can tackle with basic knowledge and a good ear, or is it best left to a mechanic to get her dialed in?

Is there a "basic" setting where you can "start" from? Like tightening down all the way and backing off X turns? What do each of those screws do?

Thanks in advance and of course the offer is always out there for a mobile mechanic that's interested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, there is a basic setting for every carb,
you have to know wich carb and how much mm it is,
keihin has the base settings on there website
I geuss mikuni as well,
greetz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... cool. It's relieving to know that there IS a basic "starting point" to each carburetor!

I will look at those sites for sure!!! thanks!

The carb is a Mikuni... somehow I remember that stamped on the carb when I removed it.

Thanks guys!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts