Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the starter and bendix on my 2000 GP760. Anyone know whether the engine has to come out or apart to get to the bendix (idler gear). Trying to figure out if this is something I can do over the weekend before some July 4th guests arrive.

Also, this is a hard starting machine. Very finnicky when cold. Is there an aftermarket fuel pump that helps with this? I have read other post that advise this is caused by the initial fuel delivery on start up. Anyone have reliable cranking procedure for this ski?

I am fairly experienced with bike, outboard and car mechanicals, but this is my first jet ski.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You'd have to take the front cover off to see if it will slide past the flywheel. If not then you'll have to pull off the flywheel which is sometimes tricky while still in the machine.
I took out my chokes and installed a primer kit. Now it starts right away. Yamahas were famous for this. You can also somehow block off the choke plate holes but would suggest a primer kit. You can rebuild the carbs too and that might help. Fuel pumps on these were decent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GP760 thread

Thanks fedorov5549, I went ahead and removed exhaust and front cover since I am replacing the starter and idler gear. It would not slip past the fly wheel. I have a good puller, but it was a bear to get loose.

Do you remember where you got the primer kit for the 760? Or who makes it? Do you have to take the seat off to access the primer? And is it needed only on the first start of the day?

Appreciate the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts