Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2001 Waverunner I bought recently has some sort of homemade ice chest holder/tow bar mounted onto the back of the ski using bolts through the hull...I am wanting to remove this contraption and put a handle back onto the seat since it was removed to make room for this other thing.

Once I remove it, what is the best way to fill these holes left by the bolts?

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Man, that can open a can of works there. lol
All depends on how much time and effort, and what you want the finished product to look like.
The best way would be to treat it as a hull repair and glass it with smc compatible resin, then prime and paint.
The quickest way would be to find some rubber plugs and silicone them them in to water proof it.
Something like this.
Rubber Butt Plug | mudhole.com
If your not worried about ever taking it out, you could get a small tube of 5200 to seal it in. I think walmart carries a off brand, but I know Academy sports carries the 5200.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mainly just need it to not take on water and be smooth and a close match. It definitely doesn't need to look like it never happened.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
I would look around town for some rubber plugs similar to that then, and seal them in with some 5200. It will be the quickest, easiest way, and the 5200 is permanent. They do make a non permanent sealant that I think is 4900 of something like that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I suppose there are a lot of ways to do this. I will share my thoughts. Of course I expect people to do what best suits them.

For starters I would use a 3" high speed pneumatic cut-off wheel to cut the welds and remove the pipe. Almost an instant fix. Cut-off those eye bolts sticking up too

Next (as time passes) remove one of the plates and fill the holes with as large of a stainless steel hex head bolt that will fit. Use stainless steel washers and hex nuts (of course). Between the washers and the hull, use the type of thru-hull-sealant you see in the inside-rear of the hull

Your ski looks exactly like mine. Not surprising since Yamaha has produced and sold over 1 million Waverunners. That equates to a 10 billion dollar revenue. I like math

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the holes are not that big you can use Marine Tex. It is an epoxy so it should work well. You can slightly bevel the screw holes and make sure you completely fill the holes. For an extra secure repair you can chop up some fiberglass matt and mix it in the Marine Tex. After this dries you can sand it smooth and paint it. If you do a good job the repair should not be discernible.

Good luck,

Dan

·
Registered
588 Posts
If the holes are not that big you can use Marine Tex. It is an epoxy so it should work well. You can slightly bevel the screw holes and make sure you completely fill the holes. For an extra secure repair you can chop up some fiberglass matt and mix it in the Marine Tex. After this dries you can sand it smooth and paint it. If you do a good job the repair should not be discernible.

Good luck,

Dan
I like this. Good idea

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am finally getting around to fixing these holes and am using Marine-Tex. Since much of it fell through the hole, now that it has dried, I am left needing more to completely finish filling the holes.

Am I ok adding more marine tex to the already dried stuff?
Do I sand first before applying more?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sanded then used another tube of Marine Tex but can still see dimples where the bolt holes were...I must be doing something wrong! I thought for sure that with the holes partially filled and dry, they would fill right up!

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
As it sets and dries, it will shrink up slightly.
To get ride of the holes completely requires over filling, then sanding, primer, block sanding to find low spots, fill, repeat, then paint. Did you bevel the top of the bolt holes ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have it all sanded nice and smooth and may have to top off a couple of spots.

Paint? What is best for me to use for paint. I have a couple spots that look like it is sanded down to metal or gray primer maybe...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
On my GPr I used krylon white spray can. This is the repair done on the edge of mine a few years back. After priming it black, I untaped it and wet sanded the whole edge and feathered the edge of the tape line in the primer. I carefully painted with tape over the rub rail and way back off the top edge. To eliminate tape line in paint. Then wet sanded and buffed by hand. Painted the whole side, but only lightly ahead and behind primer area to help blend color.
If you have small imperfections use a little glazing putty mix from auto body supply or local Napa. Final wet sanding was 5000 grit.

Attachments

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Dave has it. Attention to detail now will make a nicer finish. Spot putty the small holes and dimples, wet sand with 4 or 600, spray with high build primer, block sand with a small wet sanding pad. They are soft and conform to curves. Change directions now and then to keep the sanding even. If any low spots show up, till with spot putty if the are fairly deep, or apply more primer if just barely showing. Final sand should be with fresh 4 or 600 so the paint has something to grab.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts