Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody heard of the Turbo models with the black bottoms blistering if they are left in the water?That sounds stupid, its a boat, why would you leave it in the water? :rolleyes:
Anyway, I read a post by someone that said Honda was having problems with the aquatrax bottom blistering...something about having to re-cover with epoxy?Any input here would be great.

Curious caus' I just dropped over 10k lastnight on 2-2005 f12x-gscapes and they have the aforementioned "black bottom" hull.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd heard about a few of the older models ('02-'04s) having problems with blisters in the footwells (probably due to water being left in there), & some spider cracking of the black gel coat. Don't hear much about the '05 & up models. Mine is the same year & model as yours, & I haven't seen anything to worry about on mine (138 hours and still like new). Of course, I don't leave mine in the water either.
If there's nothing wrong with yours, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only thing I found concerning blistering was this (on PWCToday):

Gel coat blistering is caused by water infiltrating through the gel coat and forming acids from the laminating material that build up pressure and explode.
I do not think that any manufacturer warrants against this happening. The early Hondas had a really poor Gel coat with large areas that were touched up and not cured.

The book says that the best prevention is not to leave it in the water for long periods. The repair is to remove the blister, let it thoroughly dry, seal it with epoxy [not polyester resin], remove the "blush" from the surface of the cured epoxy and then replace the gel coat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks again bobby, I spoke with a local repair guy and he concurs.
I'm going to be taking them to him for some small repairs and restoration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts