Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the scene of PWC's so don't know too much yet. I was told that all PWC operators require a boating license unless they were born before a certain date (I don't know the exact date, but I'm sure I don't meet the requirements). I have no intentions of riding around illegally, so can anybody point me in the right direction? If this were for somebody looking to get their street license to ride a motorcycle, I'd recommend they attend the MSF course, but I really have no clue what to look for to get my boating license!

Also, a few people have told me that I could get my certificate online. The Honda dealer, however, told me that I couldn't do that. So who's right?

Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, found that MD doesn't offer the online course. I did find an instructor for 6/24, so I should be set!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Ontario canada and for us we need a license for the following.

* All operators of any powered watercraft under 4m in length (13.1ft)
* All operators of PWC's (i.e.: sea-doos and jet skis)
* All operators of any powered watercraft born after April 1, 1983

By 2009 everybody will need a license for motorized watercraft.

There are also horsepower restrictions:

-Under 12 years of age, and not directly supervised can only operate vessels with under 10 hp

-Between 12 years and under 16 years of age, and not directly supervised can only operate vessels with under 40 hp

-Under 16 years of age are Not allowed to operate a PWC

-16 years of age and over have no power restrictions

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wet neoprene said:
Check out this site,
It may be relivant for USA as well

http://www.boaterexam.com/
Yeah, I actually found that course a couple of weeks ago. It turns out that Maryland won't let me take the course online. No biggie. I'm signed up for the class on the 24th. :D

Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts