Personal Water Craft Forum banner

201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Hey Dave wanted to paint the bottom of the skis flat black and I read that enamel is the best or PPG gel. Some fuy said appliance paint at Ace Hardware is great and lasts.
I have access to base and clear but I somehow don't think it's steongenough for ocean and rough patches.
What do you think?⁹

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You could use an auto polyurethane or epoxy paint. I think they would hold up best. They generally are harder paints. Either one will require an epoxy based primer.
One thing to remember, this is an SMC hull not regular fiberglass. SMC or sheet molded compound is a type of fiberglass. It has release agents mixed into the material for compression molding. This takes special precautions and treatment to get a good bond when painting. This would apply to anywhere that gets sanded below the factory paint to actual hull material. I believe you just need to wipe with acetone before priming if I remember correctly. You'll have to read up on it beforehand to be sure.
Just a heads up, there is lots of info on the web on painting and repairing SMC. Do a bit of searching and reading up on it. Easy to deal with once you understand procedure and use correct chemicals. I've done several small repairs and used Krylon white spray and blended it and wet sanded for a great match. Here's Pics of one I did a few yrs back on a friend's ski.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Looks great the reason I asked is one guy said epoxy cracks on fiberglass.
So if I wanted to paint the underside black I still have to use the epoxy primer and then paint. These are better than base and clear? On my kids gp1200r he wants it black lile the newer ones. So appliance epoxy over primer should work. Got to read on pre paint sanding and acetone to clean. De wax is also a thing with these.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you don't sand down through the factory paint. Which is fairly thick. You can clean and paint no special treatment. Only if you hit the SMC do you need to use epoxy primer on that spot.
Typical base/clear coat paints are not as durable as polyurethane or epoxy. The appliance black should be fine. Yamaha just used single stage enamel paint. Nothing special.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hello all. Reports of my demise have been exaggerated. I am still around, alive and kicking sometimes. I have been dead before, back in 2013, but I came back.

Happy to report that my two main machines are still working well. I have had them out a couple of times this season. My son who is in college had me take him and four of his friends out for an afternoon. We met up with four, nubile young college girls, who were his friends. I had to take a couple of girls out on the ski and ride them around. The sacrifices I make for my children. I just told them, "Hold me tighter if you want me to drive faster."

Wonderful day until my son said, "Dad, some water was getting in the 'glove compartment' where your cell phone was so I put it in the front bin." Front bin always gets a little water in it. Sure enough, cell phone was under 1 1/2 of water and was cooked. Turned out to be $500 day. But I was going 60+ across the water with a college girl on the machine with me = priceless.

My friend has not yet competed the rebuild of the third machine. He recently lost his wife in a tragedy and I have been trying to get him to work on the ski to get his mind off of his loss.

I will try and keep a better eye on the forum. This really should have been a "hello I'm back" separate post but I know that now your guys' minds will be at ease knowing I am alive and safe.

Don't kno about Rods. Hope he is well, also.

Zardoz

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Zardoz, WELCOME BACK!! glad to see you back. How you doing? Last I talked to you, you had just had knee replacment that went south.
Haven't been able to reach Rodsatheart. Not by PM or phone. Don't know whats up. He hasn't been on in about 4 or 5 months. Hope he's well.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread. I will start another one to catch up on life.

It seems like the "heart" has been ripped from the Forum. It cannot be the same without him. But I guess if we survived the departure of Ernest T, we can survive Rods' absence too.

Go fast. Go Yamaha.

Z

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
You can hijack all You want here we're all friends linked together by these damn beautiful machines. Good to hear from you again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
So today I finally took the damn Yamaha's to the marina and put them on water. That's the good news. The bad news is that the XL1200LTD got sea water in the engine compartment and died. No display, nothing but silence. The other one GP1200R was there too an towed the broken one back to the marina. So at the marina one was draining a large amount of water the other none. So I think the water went in through the front storage compartment it's not double taped on the edges and the water was going pretty high up on the ski. The other one has some kind of sticky tape on the edge and it's in place pretty solid.
At home I checked and there was no water in the cylinders.
So the thing is dead electrically.
Checked the 4 fuses and all good. Battery all good. I am sure water went to the starter and shorted something probably in the main box where the 4 fuses are. Didn't check the manual yet. I am still pretty pissed off temporarily though.
So is there anything you can tell me about this? Thanks in advance
The Gp1200R did ok but didn't have a chance to push it. Just 5mph in the marina and towing back. At some point
It did turn off but turned back on. The idle sounded a bit low.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts