Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2001 1200r w/ only 81 hrs. on it. The older guy who I bought it from said he only put about 5 rs. on it in the last few years. I topped it off w/ gas and went to lake and it fired right up and ran great for about 30 min. then it just died on me. Then it would start and I would rush it towards the bank , it would die then it would just click then start , then die. The battery seemed to be just dead. I charged overnight to full capacity , took to lake , fired right up then died in about 5-10 minutes , then it would fire up and die. Then it would fire up and I let it idle for a few then it just die. I KNOW NOTHING about this thing , any advise? MY KIDS THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Ok first of all stop running it like that. Clearly something is not right and you can blow your motor if the carbs are dirty/need a rebuild.

First things first is do a compression check. It should 115-120 PSI. Then look at your carbs. Also at 80 hours chances are your cat is broken up and in pieces. Which will need to be removed and a D-plate installed. If you have no mechanical ability take it to a good PWC mechanic (not the dealer) and let him do his job.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
In addition to what YamaDoo said, how long had it been sitting? If it had fuel that had been sitting for several years and all you did was add some more, you may have bad fuel. Clean the carbs., drain the tank and start with fresh fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I did a cylinder pressure 0/30/0 ! How did it run so great for 30 minutes then die? Also noticed oil at bottom of interior of hull in an area.. Don't know nothing about these engines , could something be stuck open causing it to not have cylinder pressure? I thought that it wouldn't even start with that low of cylinder pressure , any thoughts. I am really bummed on the situation , I''l know next time to do a cylinder pressure check before purchasing. I thought I could trust the "Dr."

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sounds to me like the oil injection lines either came loose or cracked since there is no crankcase oil it sounds like the oil your seeing is injection oil. Oil injection is great , but it is incumbant on the owner to check the system. No oil = fried engine. It is a shame that you didn;t have it checked out by a dealer since you don't know what to look for. That is one reason I don't like two strokes.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
well I did a cylinder pressure 0/30/0 ! How did it run so great for 30 minutes then die? Also noticed oil at bottom of interior of hull in an area.. Don't know nothing about these engines , could something be stuck open causing it to not have cylinder pressure? I thought that it wouldn't even start with that low of cylinder pressure , any thoughts. I am really bummed on the situation , I''l know next time to do a cylinder pressure check before purchasing. I thought I could trust the "Dr."
Ouch, yes this is common in older 2 strokes to loose compression. When you tested it did you have just the one spark plug removed on the cylinder you were testing? Along with holding the throttle wide open?

And yes they'll still run on low compression albeit very poorly. I had a 900ZXI Kawi once and it got me back to shore after one cylinder dropped to 0 PSI.:)

Find a good PWC mechanic and let him dig into it and see what your options are. If you are around the Chicago/Milwaukee area I can recommend a good guy otherwise look on Craigslist. I just had a top end done on my GPR last fall for $1300. That was with the D plate mod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed 1 plug at a time and checked , I just turned the motor over w/out starting , didn't hold throttle wide open. Can it be anything other than fried engine? What exactly is the power valves?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I removed 1 plug at a time and checked , I just turned the motor over w/out starting , didn't hold throttle wide open. Can it be anything other than fried engine? What exactly is the power valves?
Well yes unless your gauge is completely shot it's safe to assume your top end is bad. The power valves alter the size of the exhaust port to make maximum power at a given RPM. They are located on the port side of the engine. You'll see three small box like things sitting there those are your powervalve housings. They are linked together and towards the stern side you'll see a wheel type thing which in turn is connected to the servo motor for the power valves which is mounted just below the little storage compartment on your ski.

Speaking of powervalves once and if you get the motor repaired you'll need what are called Wave Eater clips on the powervalve pivots because they can walk out and cause engine damage. They are not much though, $30 something dollars.

What are your plans for this boat? Are you going to fix it or sell it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a dealers license and buy Harleys to sell or buy off individuals and run through auction. I will probably run it through auction , thats what I was planning on doing with it after I played on it for a month or so. They actually do compression test at auction on PWC's and state them on line , so whoever buys it will know top end has to be redone. But I figure I could possibly get back close to what I paid for it as cheap as I bought it. People who deal in these things can probably do the work themselves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
gp1200

I have a xl1200 and my ski did the same thing. I found out the oil lines on the injector motor where coming off. The engine will shut down and not even allow you to restart the motor. I would get nothing when hitting the start button. I installed a oil block off today on my ski since it has a brand new motor on it. The oil injection motor is located under the main seat at the front of the motor. If you look down and hit the throttle you should see the cable running to the oil injection motor. When you pull on the throttle the cable will activate the motor on the oil injection pump. Just my 2 cents. I have three ski and a jet boat all run great except my polaris jet ski which looks brand new but will not run. I have spent a ton on it. Now they tell me the EMM is bad. This is after Crankshaft replacement,Crankshaft positioner,TPS replacement, Battery replacement,Fuel Injector Rebuild,Reed Valve Replacement,and much much more. So feel good about your Yamaha. They are great machine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anyway to tell if its just top end rather than bottom end or both? Before I take it to get worked on , trying not to get taken advantage of at PWC mechanic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts